View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
.... However, puckered, overly wavy, rippled leather seams on the top of both front seats is clearly out of specification for BMW....
Perhaps the 35i was a missed opportunity; however, you should not miss the opportunity to address the seemingly egregious quality flaws of your car. Given your obvious passion for cars, you do not want to feel a sense of unsettled regret every time you get into your car and see the out of spec leather seats. IMO these flaws are not indicative of a general problem related to American build quality but are specific to your car. My X3 35i M Sport was built in 2/13 and was delivered to me with perfect build quality matching the quality of my M3.

It is my experience that flaws in the leather only get worst over time with wear. I had a 550i GT for a year with extended Napa interior and BMW's most expensive sport seats. To my chagrin, the thigh seat bolster on the driver's seat had a fat wrinkle that I considered out of spec and became more noticeable over time. Long story short BMW at very considerable expense replaced the seat. Key to accomplishing the task was my ability to offer a reasonable argument to BMW engineers, and the recruitment of my dealership's service manager to actively support my claim. In the end, perhaps BMW replaced my seat as an extraordinary accommodation because I had purchased many BMWs, but for whatever reason, I remembered and appreciated their kindness, and my next car purchase was another BMW.

Last edited by Capobranco; 04-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.