View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 11:45 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjrmann View Post
a big bonus for the factory tow-prep wiring is the ball zoom feature mode the rear camera provides.
I think I know what you meant, but strictly speaking the "factory tow-prep wiring" is a reference to the 8SL wiring that comes standard on every X3. It provides the necessary connectors on the vehicle for an OEM trailer wiring harness, which you can get only with certain trailer hitches.

It is the OEM trailer wiring harness that provides certain nice features such as rear-camera "overhead zoom mode", automatic de-activation of the rear PDC sensors when a trailer is plugged in, and trailer stability control -- where the vehicle automatically initiates alternate-wheel braking to bring a snaking trailer back under control.

There are only two X3 hitches available in North America that come with the OEM trailer wiring harness: the Class 2 dealer hitch and the Class 3 invisihitch. (Our hitch comes packaged with the OEM harness because in other parts of the world the invisihitch is indeed the official BMW dealer hitch).

To the best of my knowledge, the X3 OEM trailer wiring harness is not available anywhere in the world as a separate part. It only comes packaged with the two hitches mentioned above.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com