04-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Teller County, Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2005
Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
I am in the process of buying a new MY14 X3 - we pick it up and sign final papers tomorrow.
In the process I did a lot of reading on this and other forums. The Nav system in the F25 X3 is much discussed. And there appear to be a good number of complaints about***********:
While I did not make a detailed record of all the entries and posts regarding these issues, here is my general conclusion (on which I based my own purchase and therefore spent my own money):
- accuracy of directions
- ease of use
I don't think that the cost of the upgrades is reasonable, though I understand this is licensed intellectual property that BMW has to buy/license from a vendor and so some cost is involved. My personal feeling is that this ought to be part of the 4-year free maint. There certainly ought to be enough margin in the cost of the nav systems ($2150 MRSP this year) to cover the SW updates.
- Complaints are mostly from MY 2011, 2012 owners
- Complaints from MY13 owners seem to be those who purchased earlier in the MY.
- Owners who upgraded the Nav software to the version available as of beginning of calendar year 2013 (BMW - North American Premium - USB 2013 Version) report the that the quality of directions issues have disappeared to the point where they are not any worse than an average nav system. Ease of use is mostly tied to the iDrive platform and people either are OK with it or they aren't
- Software upgrades can be done for as little as $50 if you connect with the backchannel guys. Buying from BMW the cost is $245, not including labor cost if you get the dealer to install it.
- I tested the late manufacture MY2013 cars on my dealers' lot and verified for myself that the nav system was at least as good as the system I own now.
Nav update can be obtained here: http://navigation.teleatlas.com/bmwusa
For those of you whose nav system is aggregeously wrong, perhaps a complaint to your dealer or BMWNA might get you an update for free or at a discount??
Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)
"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine