Thread: Neutral
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Most cars have electronic shifters now, even the one that looks like a traditional shifter. There is no longer a mechanical link from the shifter to the transmission, just a bunch of switches and relays. BMW should post some kind of shifter override procedure for towing. From what I understand, if the battery dies in your BMW, you need to take off the cover under the engine bay and unlock some kind of mechanical latch to get the car into neutral. Even the dealer and BMW road side assistant do not have information on this procedure.
This is documented in a X3 training manual posted on another forum. Going from memory here...there is some sort of lever on the tranny housing that is moved with a screw. This places the tranny in N even with power off. When I get back to my office I'll look it up and see if I can post it.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine