View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5
Hi Folks,

New to the forum but I would like to add this.
I owned a 1985 Porsche 928S, 32V for almost 14 years.

Before I bought the car I just thought it would be cool to own one. Once I took ownership of it the PO gave me his complete repair history which also included the original owners receipts.

At the time I purchased it, the car was 14 years old and was only serviced by dealerships. The total receipts handed to me in that gigantic folder totaled nearly $50,000 dollars! You read that right. The repairs nearly equaled the original sale of the new car!

Buyers remorse set in deep and I decided that the only way I could keep this car was to learn how to work on it myself. Through people I met, internet forums and my own ability to rationalize problems and solve them, I kept that car on the road for 14 years of ownership and never once did I visit a dealer or other repair shop and I did everything you can imagine with that car. Always ran perfect and only broke down on me once due to a failed fuel pump.

I won't give you more than two examples of how good the dealer service was to the car. When I decided to do what they call a top-ectamy on the car, I found all the spark plug wire holders broken and the wires held in place with zip ties. I also discovered when I did the very complex timing belt change on the car that there is nothing like a handful of silcone sealant to keep the oil on the other side of the crankshaft seal. Yes, I guess you get what you pay for.

I have owned my X5 for only two months and have fixed a bunch of things on it already, including just doing the valve cover gasket which was leaking. I am now working on my AC system, have a drivers door handle mechanism on order and will send my center dash module off here soon to get rid of the Vulcan language it displays. On top of that I ordered a few small items that I found needed attention.

Its ok to support a dealer who has always done right by you and is someone you have grown to trust but it comes at a cost. Usually a lot of money. If you have the chops to take your time, investigate and rationalize each problem, you will become a great problem solver and will eventually have no problem digging into your own repairs.