View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: Alpine White F25 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighterpilot View Post
So I fill up today and find the average mileage is 22.0 MPG. Finally!!!. The car however reported 19.6 MPG on the iDrive. One thing I did notice is that when I would check the trip meter mileage for a certain trip I could get iDrive to report almost 25 MPG for the highway driving.

So apparently this turbo 4 is no more efficient in the city than our former twin turbo six in our 535i. That was not expected. On the highway I'd say MPG between the turbo 4 and the turbo six is equal as well. We could easily pull down mid 20s MPG in our 535i all the while running upwards of 80 to 90 miles an hour. I'm not sure of the weight differential right now between the X3 and the 535 and the drag is something else to be considered.
Stop and go is a real killer of mpg, it uses a lot of energy to get 4,000 lbs rolling.

On my weekday commute in my 35i, it's not unusual for me to get down to around 14mpg going 5km to work and back, but on the weekends when I actually get to drive a bit longer distances away from downtown traffic, I get about 24mpg which balances it out to an overall average of about 17mpg.

The X3 is about 10% (400lbs) heavier than a 535, and has xDrive and worse aerodynamics working against it... so it's not surprising that the turbo 4 nets you approximately the same mileage.