View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
Capo,

These are all compelling options. I will have to think it over in the next few months. I have always been the type of person to have as low of a monthly payment as I can. Unfortunately I never buy "base" model vehicles, so it is never as low as I would like! I have another question. How has your M sport package affected your off-road capabilities? I will very likely be living in a state with snow in the next few years as well, how does it perform in snow/rain? I won't be "off roading" exactly, but would probably want to traverse some trails in Colorado to get to a good hiking spot, or launch a boat at somepoint. Obviously this is no Jeep Grand Cherokee, but how does the M Sport package fair in non "perfect" road conditions?
Well I wish I could report great experiences but the reality is that I have only had my X3 since the end of February. I live 25 miles west of DC and we did not had a lot of snow. As far as rain, wind etc - my X3 has been a champ. I go to the mountains of Western Maryland and West Virginia several times a month with my German shepherd to explore, hike, and climb. I thought long and hard about the suitability of an X3 and the M Sport option....but in the end, the ground clearance was sufficient and the X3 comes with decent all seasons instead of performance tires. Yeah, all seasons are no substitute for dedicated snows but for the mid-Atlantic, I can get by. I traded a Mitsu Montero for my X3. The Mitsu could rock climb, go through 24" of snow and ford streams but it was no fun driving on the road. After 125K miles in my Mitsu I was ready for a change. I would love to have something like an X5M but the vehicle has about zero bad road capability which does not work for me. Of course, there are a bunch of alternatives if you need more off road capability, but they do not kick-ass like an X3 35i M Sport. Bottom line my X3 is a lot of fun to drive - fast - and so far it has not left me stranded in the mountains - I'm thinking, maybe my X3 35i M Sport threads the needle perfectly. I'm sure, Nick (my GSD) and I will challenge it in the coming months.