View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG View Post
Any concerns for my tires having a load rating of 98 instead of 102? The Michelin MXM4s are 98, but 102 is recommended. A load rating of 1,653lbs vs. 1,874lbs (per tire) / 6,612lbs vs. 7,496lbs (per four tires) doesn't seem like a big deal to me as I can't imagine even coming close to loading the X3 that much. The Michelin MXM4 is also off-program (not BMW tested) but that also doesn't seem to be a big deal and shouldn't impact the warranty. And, any thoughts on going to a 255/45-19? I'm fine increasing the width but I don't want to mess with the height of the tire, even if it's just 1/4". That's assuming it fits ok (it was Discount Tire's recommendation).
It just came back to me when I was checking the inflation in my tires yesterday.

The load rating on the tire is at the maximum inflation as stated on the tire. If you inflate to less than that maximum, then the load rating is proportionally less.

Tire Rack has several very good technical articles on load rating, speed rating and inflation pressure. Here is one:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=195

You may want to dicuss this over at the Tire Forum, too. Folks there can also comment on the diameter change.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine