View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 09:40 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/335
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
1. You can not select the exact gear without going through others. That act of thinking is part of what adds to the "engaging" part of driving a manual. And you actually don't need to think it all becomes intuitive after a while in a way that blipping through a DCT doesn't. At least not for me I still need to check the gear display often when driving my M3 with DCT. I'm not saying the manual is overall faster it isn't but it's more immidiate, intuitive and precise in gear selection in certain scenarios.

2. When you are in a slide or at the edge of grip and often need lightning fast reflexes and focus I prefer to only use my hands to steer not to fiddle with the paddles. It's imo much better to use a limb that is not used for anything else, your left foot. Now, with a lot of training you can likely eliminate the advantage but it's still not as clean for someone who has driven MTs for most of their lives. For younger drivers used to ATs it's another story.

Again DCT or MT depends on the car for me, it's not that I can't see or enjoy the advantages of the DCT, heck I bought one but for a car like the GT3 I would want an MT others will choose differently if the choice was there. It's the lack of choice that is the main complaint not the PDK as such.
I am a diehard MT guy. I mean my 535i was a 6MT. I decided to go DCT this time and let me tell you that I love it. I love MT, but I am fast becoming a DCT convert. It just works so well it is crazy. I knew I was a DCT convert when I got to track an M6 with DCT. I have also driven the Panny GTS with PDK and if I buy a Porsche it will be with PDK.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 05-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.