Thread: Burning oil?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgt View Post
Hi All,
I purchased my 2004 545 i as a certified preowned vehicle in 2006 with 18k miles on it. I love the car but it is supper expensive to maintain. I have recently run into a few other issues that are making me rethink its value. I now have 91k on the odo and car is immaculate looking.
Issue 1... Tranny slips or seems to be searching for 5 or 6th gear while cruising at 35 to 40 mph.

Issue 2... While driving with heads up display on and radio, it appears that they both cut out for a split second. the display flashes on and off sporatically about 1 per minute.
I have recently had the battery changed and this seems to have appeared afterwards.

and finally,,,,

Issue 3... Oil leaks and burning. I know what the issue is here seals and valve issue.. Been in contact with bmwoem1 on this.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
Ed
Issue 1 - First have your trans fluid level checked. And if it hasn't been changed (drain and fill twice) then have it done. If fluid level is good then try a reset of the transmission (see previous posts on forum).

Issue 2 - Have your battery and alternator checked at an auto store (they will do it for free). Next, see if heads-up and radio are on the same fuse. It might be a loose ground connection if both are doing it at the same time. Both might also be on the communications MOST BUS and you might be having issues with it.

Issue 3- Fact of life on high miles BMW V8's. If leaks are manageable (don't leave huge puddles of oil on your garage floor) then either fix the leaks or live with them. For oil consumption you don't say how many miles you drive before you add a half quart or quart (better to add half quarts and not let it get a full quart low). It could be sign of advanced engine component wear or something as simple as crank case ventilation valves.