Couple of updates since I was last around here:
1. INPA 5.02: it works on E39/E46 just fine, but the package replaced the language in INPA from English to German for me. It isn't difficult to use or navigate, but there are no features worth updating for if you're only using it on an E39. INPA 5.02 was beneficial for messing around with Mini Coopers (R50 and on) and some of the later models like R56 aren't supported by the daten files in INPA 3.x. Again, I do not recommend updating for dedicated E39 use.
2. DIS/GT1: it is possible to have both v44 and v57 running as separate installations on one machine. To accomplish this, simply install v44 as noted in the top post, clone that VM (FULL clone, roughly 20GB), run cloned VM, and install v57 as per the guide. It will require DaemonTools and the DIS v57 image file. If my memory serves me right, v57 lost the ability to code new modules, but gained the ability to support newer cars. Like with the point above, for dedicated E39 use, you will be perfectly fine with DIS v44.
3. NCS Dummy continues to be updated, and you're probably better served to check the developer's website and download from him directly rather than using the copy that I'm hosting. Latest update seems to be from just over a month ago: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-of-NCS-Expert
4. Speaking of hosting, the files my not be on my server for much longer. I've slowly been uploading them to this location: http://www.4shared.com/dir/YzvDi-2F/BMW_Software.html
. This will have every single thing you will need for an E39, down to instructions. I will create another mirror on Box.net in the coming days, while handing over the 4shared account to BlueBee.
5. Has anyone tried meddling with the new BMW ISTA software? My buddy and I were looking into it last night and it seems to be the same feature set as DIS/INPA/Progman, but included in one suite and geared toward newer BMW's. Apparently the Chinese hardware connectors alone cost upwards of $1k and the software runs in their cloud? Would love some input on this.