View Single Post
Old 05-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
Car went dead all of sudden while driving - 2006 bmw X5 3.0

Yeah, the timing belt or chain refers to the synchronisation of cam and crankshaft, a much bigger function than the serpentine belt.

The PCV system is important in cars as it provides the engine with a waste gate to remove unwanted gases and fuel mixed content from the engine oil. These gases pass through the cylinder rings during combustion and into the crank housing where the oil is contained. It has been used on engines for a long time now, and modern cars reuse the gases and petrol by returning them to the combustion process. However, this may be another problem on your car that requires repair. I don't think the PCV would cause your car to stop but a loose timing chain would.

Glad you're getting it checked out. The fact that your car is driving ok is a good sign, but don't drive your car for too long if it has warning lights. Get it sorted ASAP to prevent further problems and you should be back on the road safely and having fun in your x5, which in my opinion, is one of the best cars on the road. Any great car deserves tons of tlc!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app