View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm from NJ. So What!?!

Mein Auto: What they Drive
[QUOTE=Mr._Graybeard;7585920]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySatinDoll View Post
1983 Mercedes 300TD sedan - parent hand me down, sold for college tuition/QUOTE]

Not to be picky, but if your 300D was a sedan, it was not a 300TD, which is the wagon. I've owned a couple W123 models ... they're boats, but bulletproof and easy to work on. Theoretically, you could drive one without a working alternator or even a battery. The fuel injection and pump are totally mechanical.

My wife had one of these when we got married. The 5-speed wasn't bad, but I remember that the hand brake button shot out of the handle when I tried to use it. AMC also used two different oil filter fittings on the engine, SAE and metric. If you bought a filter at a parts store without knowing that, you ran the risk of having the filter blow off while you were driving down the road. A lot of Alliances died that way. Too bad -- the car had some great French touches, like the horn button on the turn signal lever, and terrific seats. Build quality was typical AMC, tho.
300TD as in turbo Diesel that's why I said sedan not to confuse anyone. But I see that didn't work.
I should have just said 300d Turbo diesel.

Yessir you can run those cars through a brick wall and it will still keep going.
Only bad part about it was the trans was slipping. After a while you had to manually up shift and down shift to get her moving.

Every once in a while the Lion has to show the Jackals who he is...
- Christopher Walken "The Lion Speech"
95 e34 525 5 spd S52 Swap... The new Garden State Grocery Getter projekt.

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 05-16-2013 at 08:18 AM.