View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernm3 View Post
Thanks for the comments. To clarify what constitutes "major" and "minor" since your experience pertains to "major issues," in my case, the X5 did not have "major issues." Fine engine, car is fundamentally sound. However, SEL coming on with various emissions problems that the techies have difficulty pinning down (car drives fine), transmission fail safe coming on (only once with the car limping in mid-gear, other times the car drives fine), etc. are the types of problems that I'm referring to. You mention a screeching driver side window. Unless you keep your windows closed most of the time, I don't see how this constitutes a "minor" problem that can be ignored. On a $40K+ vehicle?

If the car's a lemon, or near-lemon, you can take clear-cut actions. But dependability is, unless I'm mistaken, not really about lemons which are catastrophic failures. When the problems are minor but chronic ones that drain time and money, then it gets on your nerve.

As a driver, I love my X5 V8. Tons of power, gurgling V8 engine, sturdy as a tank. That's why I kept it 8+ years. I'm willing to spend the dough to fix problems. The problem is they are not often fixed the first, second, or third time around.
I've had none of the things you mentioned happened as of yet. As for the screeching window, I say it isn't major only because they replaced the guide rails a year ago and it fixed it but now it has come back again. They tried to say it was because the windows are "too clean". Give me a break. It's going back in next week for a second attempt to fix it permanently. I just don't think they have a clue what to do with it. Otherwise, I've only had the car in for oil changes and its yearly service visit. Good luck with your decision