View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast. View Post
Found some on eBay cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-M-Pe...228667&vxp=mtr

Can anybody comment on removal and installation. Is it snapping rivets out, do they break easily about how long would it take?
It depends on the tools you have and how dexterous your hands are Here's how I did it (I didnt take pics):

1) With hood open, take the wind seal off at the very front that the hood closes on. You will see a bunch of screws holding the top of the bumper on where the grills are at. Remove them.
2) You now will have enough room to slide your hand in to get to the top and sides of the kidney grill to disengage the clips with your hand (use the ones you bought as the reference locator). The plastic bumper has some give so you can get your arm in, but don't push the issue or the paint may crack if overextended.
3) I had some needle nose pliers that had the end bent into a "L" to reach the bottom ones to disengage those.
4) Once you have one grill out, the other is a cinch since you have easier access.
5) With both grills out, pop the new ones in. Punch them in place pretty firmly so all of the clips properly engage.
6) Put the screws back in that hold the bumper. Note: Pay attention to the indentations left where the screws sat as if you dont tighten them down in the same place, it can make the hood end and bumper end not look liked up when the hood is closed.
7) Replace weather stripping. Close hood and admire the new sexyness.
8) Have a beer.

Took me about 30 minutes total.