View Single Post
Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophat99 View Post
I am looking at purchasing a 08 650i coupe with 45K KM. In 2010 the car was in an accident and recieved 20K in damage to the back right side so I am hesitant about buying. Should I be, looking the car over it looks like showroom inside and out. Also has a small ding in the drivers door but next to nothing for chips on the front bumper. The gap between the door and rear windows is a touch wider on the right side than the left. I can't find any evidence of taping off the car for repainting. Another thing I noticed was all the tires were cracked on the tread, not the sidewall which is where you would see cracks on old tires and that would coast about $2500.00 for new rubber. The purchase would not be from a BMW dealer so no warranty but the price of 38K Canadian sounds rather cheap. Looking at BMW dealers on the net the I found an 08 for 52K but it had 72K KM on it. I would prefer to purcahse from a dealer for the warranty but can't find any I like. I would also like to know if there are any major problems with the 08's. Any advice would be appreciated.
Considering the size of the accident repair I still think you can talk them down a bit on price. The low KM are nice but I would take the car to a very good body shop to find out how big the repair was and to confirm it was fixed properly. Sometimes a large repair claim on CarFax ends up being a small accident that was fraudulently claimed as a major fix. If you are in the GTA I can recommend a good body shop.

If the tires are original then they will start cracking down inside the treads like you are seeing, not on the sidewall. I bought a set of '05 OEM wheels/tires to use for winters that were stored since new and the tires had small cracks at the bottom of the treads.

Tires will only cost you $1,200- $1,500 for a set if you go for non-runflats or $1,600 - $2K for runflats.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater