View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 540i M-06 X5 4.4
yes, it still has the rubber boot things....
yes the pad wears abouyt the same on the left side

i looked under the rubber boot around the piston, it has rust and some pitting...i looked at the slider pins and its obvious the problem is there , the corrosion, or rust or whatever it is , is causing the caliper to stick on the sliders on the left side...the right side also shows signs of going along the same path as the left one

also it looks like the traction arm(thrust) on that side has given up the ghost again..second one in two years...

i need to look a little deeper, as it looks like theres something else going on here...maybe the rotor pulsing is wearing out the thrust arm , idk, but it merits looking a bit deeper..

so i checked the hub for runout and immediately noticed the bearing is sick on the left side...had about .006 runout that would change high spots during rotation..

so at this point
ive ordered
2 new thrust arms
2 new brembo rotors
2 new calipers and carriers
2 new hubs and bearing
new set of green pads.

even though it doesnt have 300k miles on it, ive just gotten to the point where things are old enough on it that i have just started to replace anything that goes bad with new parts and i replace in twos to avoid doing the other side at a later date.

but i will be doind the thrust arms and replacing the hubs first to get down to which one part fixes the problem...