View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Towing with V8 vs I6

Hey everyone! Currently I own a 2003 x5 with the I6 and 135k. I've been towing a 6x10 all aluminum enclosed trailer with 2 lightweight motorcycles with the car. Fully loaded the trailer weighs about 3000lbs as a heavy estimate. The car drives wonderfully below about 50mph. But, the wind on the highway as well as the trailer weight keep the X5 downshifting. I would say about half the time on the highway it downshifts into 4th gear. So, about about 70 mph it sits around 3500. If I get behind a big truck to block the wind it won't downshift.

Anyway here is where you com in. I'm thinking about upgrading to a 2005 or 2006 4.4i. As i understand they have about 100 more HP and a 6 speed instead of a 5 speed. The tranny gives it a 6000lb tow rating. I know my current x5 can handle the trailer, but, it aggravating the way it always shifts. I plan to tow a few thousand miles every year so the extra abuse could take it's toll.

What kind of differences can I expect from the change? Does anyone have a similar upgrade experience? I'm sure it's been covered, but is there anything specific I should look for?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Advertisement