View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sno90border View Post
Ok here's my setup & issue:

I have an iPhone 4s and a 2014 x3.
- BMW Apps work when I connect my phone via USB into the arm rest (i.e. facebook)
- BMW Bluetooth streaming works along with phone calls.
- BMW Widgets works
- BMW local google search works
- Sending an address via maps.google.com to the vehicle works

Issue:
- BMW Internet & BMW office isn't working

When I try to use BMW internet it just tells me to check my contract status, but I have the tech package which includes a 3 year subscription to all services that already work in the vehicle aside from these two. To my understanding, BMW office is supposed to read me emails as I receive them, but that isn't working.

Anyone have any idea of how to set these up? I tried plugging my phone in via USB to access BMW internet and have it read my emails but neither works. However, sending a destination from google maps to my car works great and that uses my email so I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated
Ok there is a lot of stuff to go over here so bear with me.

#1 and most important: the INTERNET function is NOT included in the initial 3-year. It is absolutely a pay service from day one. This is for the i-drive web browser only. It connects via the vehicle's own cellular 3G data connection. It does not rely on phone data connection at all. On initial registration (delivery day) you can buy a 3 year block of it so that it comes up for renew when everything else does, which is $250. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't have purchased it. The i-drive web browser is a pain to use.

#2 BMW apps (facebook, twitter, etc) works through the USB connection to your phone with the accompanying iphone app. It relies on your phone's internet connection to make that stuff work.

#3 BMW office (getting emails/SMS read to you) relies on the bluetooth protocol, the same that phone calls go through. This does not use the USB connection and is dependent only on the phone supporting the proper protocol. Based on what I've seen and been told, the email function for getting your personal emails only works with blackberry. I dont have an iphone so I can't say. It does work with SMS though and you should see those in your messages.

#4 The "send to car" from google maps is a bmw-assist back-end service that does not rely on your phone or personal email. It uses the in-vehicle 3G data connection to receive the message from bmw-assist.

Ok so with clearing up of where everything comes from, the maps send-to-car and email are not related. If you can see your SMS messages I would suggest that is probably all you can see (again, I dont have an iphone). If you cannot see your SMS messages then you may need to upgrade your iphone software as the channel that is used to get that data is bluetooth which you have verified to be working properly.

Also just discovered: Once you get SMS working in vehicle, if you want to send an SMS message the only way to do so is with voice dictation. You get 60 days for free for it then it's 30-40 a year to Nuance for that feature to work. Grr I hate getting nickel-and-dimed to death.

Last edited by Drewsky; 06-19-2013 at 11:20 AM.