View Single Post
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
I tried a DVD that I recorded as well as a commercial DVD.

I have a 2014 X3, built 16 April 2014, with the premium sound system (16 speakers, 600W amp, digital sound processor, etc.). I have "surround sound" deselected (off).

Ease of Use
I found the controls a little difficult, but no more so than any DVD player that I have owned. Each DVD player requires that I learn button layouts, some have buttons for functions some do not, some have functions on secondary menus. Each DVD player is different than the other. The player in the iDrive is about average.

Sound Volume
I set up three sound sources:
  1. satellite radio
  2. thumb drive (MP3 copied from my computer)
  3. DVD movie
I measured sound levels with my ear. Subjective, I know, but it's what I got The volume levels of the music on satellite and thumb drive were equal. The volume level of the DVD movie was significantly less. I increased the movie volume to a level sufficient for me to understand the dialogue while parked in my driveway with the engine off. When I switched back to the music, the volume was LOUD, but not "blow out my ears" loud. I did not try this, but if I had raised the volume to where it really filled the car and perhaps overpower any engine noise, then swicthing back toi the music could have been an ear-altering experience.

Same result with both of my test movies.

Regarding the comment: "In essence I cannot get it very loud", I did not have a problem, in getting the volume as loud as I wanted.

The maximum volume I could get from the DVD movie source was definitely lower than what I could get from MP3 or satellite radio. The DVD source appeared to be limited where the other sources did not. That being said, the sound level of the DVD movie was sufficient for me.

Switching the "surround sound" ON altered the quality of the audio - I felt surrounded, though it seemed like a cheap surround experience. It did not increase the volume.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine