View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex md View Post
Hey Everyone-

Just looking for advice although I am pretty annoyed with this issue in my 2013 X3 3.5 MSport.

I have been a BMW customer for 15+ years and had multiple cars (as witnesses by my signature). I never had this issue in any car. The AC is not functioning properly. I have been to the dealership twice. The first time they kept the car for a day and concluded that everything is OK. The second time they kept it for two days and acknowledged a lower level of coolant than usual. According to SA, they refilled coolant level. The last couple days, I have been driving my car in 85 degree weather and keeping the AC at 68 and high fan and still not comfortable in the car. Obviously, I did all crude and minor adjustments with red, blue as well as recirculating and it has gone nowhere. On Monday, I am planning to go back to the dealership and discuss this issue with Service Department Manager as well as BMW NA. This car barely has 3,000 miles and we didnt know about this issue until the real heat wave began.

Thanks for any advice/guidance to be provided.

Alex

P.S. No evidence of coolant leakage because as per SA, they put dye in the coolant.
It could be the heater control valve. BMW's are well known to get sticky HCV's after awhile. You can test function yourself. It is easiest to to this if you have a digital thermometer and a mild-to-cool ambient temperature (but above 60).

Set temperature to 60 deg. Fan high. Recirculate to manual (fresh air). AC OFF. Engine should be at normal operating temp. Temp blasting from vents should closely match that of outside air. If it is significantly warmer then your HCV may be leaking engine coolant into the heater core. My old 2002 e46 did this about every 18 months.