Thread: wheel/tire Jack
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
WHITEX,

I use a SnapOn floor jack in the garage. It's heavy but very sturdy and reliable. I use the center jacking points at the front and rear of the car. Photos of these have been posted on this site. The side "jack points" are used for your jack stands and the inserts are necessary to avoid damage to the plastic? fittings. Unless you have a four point lift, these are not really useful as jack points since, if used in this fashion, you have no place to put your jack stands. Unless you have a death wish, it is NOT a good idea to work under the car without jack stands and placing jack stands at other locations will probably result in damage.

I also have a set of Race Ramps which are great for oil changes. They are not cheap but are very lightweight and easy to store. I bought mine on Amazon. I got one of the smaller sets to lift the front of the car a few inches and make locating the floor jack at the front jack point easier. I now wish that I'd purchased some of the higher ramps instead since this would eliminate the need for jacking when changing the oil. I'll probably break down one of these days and do just that. On the other hand, if you need to lift the whole car to rotate tires (a potentially controversial topic) or whatever, you'll still need all of the jacking equipment.