View Single Post
Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Far be it for me to defend a F&I guy/gal! However in this case they do make some sense in one area. By having the BMW mandated oil changes at the dealer it goes into their computer and shows the car is being maintained. It is also free for the first 50K miles, so it makes sense to do that with them. By having an "audit trail" of oil services and inspections in the computer BMW cannot come back later on when something breaks and say "you haven't been maintaining your car properly" thus freeing you from having to carry all your oil and filter receipts around with you. Enjoy your new ride!
No doubt about it- I plan to service my car at the dealership for the first 4/50k. It's the part after the 4/50k expires that had me questioning things. He started quoting me $400+ oil services that would be free under the extended options....I can change it myself for a fraction of that, and it'd only be about $100 at the indy with all of the other "checks" that the dealer does included.

My main worry was not being able to maintain my car myself, or even away from the dealer...I hadn't had to deal with the dealership in a few years, and was worried that BMW was turning into something I wasn't going to be happy with by FORCING customers to use dealerships for service 100% of the time, even after warranty. All cleared up now though, thankfully.
2014 BMW X3 xDrive35i