View Single Post
Old 05-26-2004, 06:18 PM
+ Recovering Zainoholic +

Mein Auto: '02 Z3 & '04 MCS & '05 xB
My experience tells me that washing/drying is the step that is most likely to cause marring to your paint. Claying is relatively risk free if - - 1) the paint is CLEAN before claying, and 2) you use plenty of lubricant. Washing is risky because your are rubbing the paint with contaminants they may easily mar or scratch the paint.

Check this thread for claying tips and tricks.

1) Keep in mind that rubbing grit across your paint causes marring!

2) When washing use TWO buckets - - one for your shampoo/water solution and one with clean water for rinsing your washing tool(s). When the rinse water gets dirty, then dump it and refill.

3) Keep in mind that rubbing grit across your paint causes marring!

4) Rinse your wash tool frequently. I prefer MF towels instead of a wash mitt for washing because it gives you a better feel for the paintís surface. I generally use 4 to 6 towels for either of my small cars.

5) Keep in mind that rubbing grit across your paint causes marring!

6) In my experience there is little or no difference between the various ďstandard brandĒ car shampoos. Follow the directions on the label - - use less if the car isnít very dirty.

7) Keep in mind that rubbing grit across your paint causes marring!

8) Use lots of wash solution on the towel. Wipe, do not rub. Follow the wipe with a low pressure rinse from the hose.

9) Keep in mind that rubbing grit across your paint causes marring!

10) If there are any spots that resist cleaning with just light pressure, then let them go and come back to them later and deal with them on an individual basis. Do NOT rub.

11) Keep in mind that rubbing grit across your paint causes marring!

12) Difficult to remove things like baked on bugs often will come off more easily if you lay a soaking wet towel on the spot for a few minutes.

13) Keep in mind that rubbing grit across your paint causes marring!

14) Do not let the rinse water dry on the car! Dry each section as you go. Use a waffle weave MF towel for drying. Blot, donít wipe.

15) Keep in mind that rubbing grit across your paint causes marring!

OCD sufferer and charter member of the
Anal Retentive Z3 Owners Association