View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec4800 View Post
... the people working there seemed to take pride in their work.
I have to agree. We made a number of the yearly pilgrimages to Spartanburg for the Z3 Homecoming events. Each time, on one or two days, we were able to eat lunch in the factory cafeteria where we freely mingled and ate with the workers. They did indeed seem to take pride in what they did. I also noticed, without exception, these people were thrilled to work for BMW and their employee number, indicative of how long ago they were hired, was very important to them.

I don't think BMW does anything by chance. I am sure we would not have had the freedom to sit and talk with whomever we wanted had BMW had any concern about employee attitude. I also noticed as we walked through the factory on the guided tours, the workers were friendly, frequently looked up from their activity and smiled at us, and did not at all seem to mind a bunch of "tourists" in very close proximity to them. I have worked in large industrial facilities four forty years and I never before witnessed craft type workers so comfortable with outsiders in their work area. I think all this makes a very big positive statement about the Spartanburg facility.