View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfuzzi View Post
I am having trouble with all the options in the tch pkg. we are thinking of just ordering the nav system standalone.

I am curious about opinions on other options

HUD. We like this feature but wouldn't splurge just for this

Curiuos on thoughts regarding

BMW Online
Remote Services
BMW Apps
Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus smartphone integration
Advanced realtime traffic info

Thanks!
The Nav System (609) gets you all those features. it is the only way you get those features.

The Tech Package is the Nav system (with all the features plus the HUD).

BMW Online, BMW Apps, ARTTI and Remote Services are the technology enablement and several years of services. Technology and cloud based services are both required to deliver the features as described by BMW. After the period of service runs out, you have to pay for it on an annual basis to keep the features (feature = technology + service).

Go to the dealer, look at a car with these options (does not have to be an X3, just one with the NBT iDrive system such as a '14 X3 or a '13 or later 5-series) and take an hour or so to really play with the whole set of features: Nav, Online features, HUD and decide what they are worth to you.

That's what I did. I did the same thing with cars with both the stock and premium sound systems. My sales associate handed me the keys to three cars with the features I wanted to learn about and turned me loose in the lot with them. That allowed me to make an informed decision about the features I wanted for my driving style and my intended use of the vehicle. And decide if they were worth what BMW was asking me to pay for them. Some were, some weren't.

One thing that is not obvious in the HUD literature is that the HUD displays require a different windshield with a special coating and tighter specs on shape. If you live in an area with a lot of airborne dirt think about coating damage and replacement costs. These may or may not be an issue to you.

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine