View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Is it just me or is that too easy...so if anyone has access to my keys, they can simply buy a new fob, and place it next to key mark near the column and they have a new key....security flaw anyone?
Well, maybe not quite that easy. It does not appear one can just "simply" buy a new fob without a VIN and proof of ownership. In addition, I have heard the vehicle has to be with you when you go to the parts department to buy the new fob. BTW, my new fob came with the integrated key already cut for my particular vehicle.

In other words, if I understand it correctly, this procedure works only with a new un-activated key that is not readily available to anyone without positive proof of ownership (like having possession of the vehicle). Even once you have a new un-activated fob, it is necessary to have a working key also to start the car with the new one next to the steering column.

It does not appear to me this presents any practical security threat but, since I have no experience steeling cars, I might be very na´ve about this.