View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 12:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
The variable steering doesn't mean what you think it means. The variable steering means the steering ratio is different in the center compared to the edges of the rack. Regardless of whether you have the variable steering, the electronic rack can change the steering weight on the fly, which is why you get the steering feel change with or without the DHP.

Here is an excerpt from that PDF in the previous post:

Quote:
The optional equipment "Variable sport steering" (SA 2VL) is available for the F25 as an alternative to the basic version of the EPS. This is the first steering system available on the market to combine the benefits of an extremely direct, variable steering gear ratio with the operating principle of EPS steering.
The variable sport steering increases ride comfort and also agility. The direct ratio reduces the total steering angle, i.e. the number of steering wheel revolutions from steering stop to steering stop, by roughly 25%. This therefore increases comfort during driving manoeuvres that require larger steering angles, e.g. when parking, turning off or turning.
If you look on page 45 of that document there is a chart that explains it better.

Last edited by Vortec4800; 07-31-2013 at 12:26 AM.