View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 X3 35i MSport, 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfänger View Post
It's called Variable Sport Steering for good reason. Without VSS the gearing geometry is constant; with VSS it is variable. With VSS the number of turns lock to lock is reduced, enhancing responsiveness as a tradeoff with sensitivity. To avoid making it too twitchy for driving in a straight line, the VSS effect (i.e., the gear ratio) is progressively increased at progressively greater steering angles. It reaches its maximum ratio at 90 deg, but it is still noticeable at narrower angles. So it's great for a hairpin bend, but it is also great for suddenly steering away from a pothole, or driving along a winding road. And you don't get this unless you have DHP.

So in sport mode the torque sensor feedback is amplified? I couldn't see this written anywhere for the X3, though the table Liverman referred does support the idea. On the F30 blog it has generally been concluded that Sport mode only amplifies VSS sensitivity, based on comments like this one from BMW's blurb about "Sport Mode":

"If variable sport steering is chosen, the assistance from power steering is reduced, which ensures a more direct feeling of steering control".
This is exactly right.

I have DHP, and in mine the weight of the steering definitely feels heavier. The sensitivity/responsiveness doesn't feel different in sport mode, I believe the VSS is "enabled" all the time. From what I've heard from other people without DHP, the weight of the wheel feels heavier in sport mode for them too, which supports the idea that the feedback is amplified with or without VSS, but they wouldn't have the variable sensitivity based on steering angle.

This is all a bit confusing to write out. I think to dumb it down, DHP gives you sportier and more responsive steering in general, without DHP you do still get a bit more feedback from the wheel in sport mode.