View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrajput View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 2004 BMW 525i (E60) with the same problem as everyone else in SoCal like weather has. So, today I tried replacing the covers on windshield and rear glass. I could remove the rear glass cover fairly easily without any damage. However, for the front glass, I noticed there isn't enough room to remove the cover. So I tried to push a screw driver in the top left corner to remove the cover. And I broke the windshield. I did not push too hard, but still it chipped at that corner and it cracked and the crack ran the entire length of the windshield within 10-15 minutes. The cover is still there and I dont have enough courage to remove it now I am having to replace the whole windshield now. Irvine as well as Crevier BMW quoted the cost of replacement at over $1600. So here I am, trying to be cheap replacing a $20 cover and ending up with the bill of $1600.

Guys, please know what you are trying to do and learn from my BAD experience. Try to do it from a professional. DO NOT END UP LIKE ME PAYING $1600...

- Charan

Update: I had the windshield replaced today. And I watched the guy do it. Even this professional guy could not remove the windshield cover without breaking the glass. So if you have a 2004 BMW 525i (E60) then know that the cover cannot be removed easily without removing the windshield. So donot try it at your own.
You have to use a plastic spatchula, or something not metal to prevent cracking/chipping. I removed my front seal with zero issues and was able to install the $20 OEM trim without any problems.