View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
If the plugs are original, then change them up. The BMW recommended change interval is 100K. However, I strongly recommend you read up on this forum. There is tons of info on anything and everything about the e39. If you just write a blank check to your mechanic to maintain this car, be prepared to write a large one. Changing plugs takes about an hour and minimal tools. Do you really want to pay someone $100 to do that? Because if your plugs are original, then likely so is your cooling system. And that is the priority service. Do a search for why. Thorough knowledge of the e39 is the best weapon against excessive maintenance costs and the best reason for reliable operation.
This statement will tell you all you need to know about your new ride. When this car was new it was sold to someone who would NEVER need to get his or her hands dirty for as long as they owned it. If you want to continue that legacy, you either need to learn to get your hands dirty or be prepared to spend about $1000-$2000 in the first year of ownership to you local indie BMW monkey. I spent about $600 on mine, and that was just parts, as I did all the work myself. This is not your Toyota Corolla, or Honda Accord that might need a new alternator every 100k miles. It is a highly tuned and refined "ultimate driving machine" that runs at high compression and high cooling system pressure. It is meant to excite your senses when behind the wheel, and that will mean, like any thoroughbred, that it needs a lot of attention on a daily basis to keep if performing as you would expect. But, it's also just another machine, and like any machine, if you understand it and the basics of how machines like it work, it's not any different, just because it's labeled BMW. The interwebs will give you all the information you need to know, if you should choose to care for it yourself. The information here is not filtered. If you choose to ignore your cooling system, don't be surprised when it all hand grenades. We're not making this $hit up, it's not a question of "if" it will happen, but "when". Go down the list....valve cover gasket......water pump.......thermostat.......suspension bushings........VANOS..........OFH gasket......CCV........DISA.......your car will need these replaced or repaired, GUARANTEED! I don't want to sound rude, but spark plugs is the least of your worries in a 10 year old BMW.

John