View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 525i (E-39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredawg100 View Post
RUBBER BUFFER D = 11.1 3 51311925433 $1.10

2001 (525I/E39)

I too have the same issues with my rubber windshield molding cover front & back, wanted to tackled it this weekend. But can someone clarify what part #2 is & how to use it. In the diagram it says quantity 3. I ordered from bavauto.com and it says the note below:

(Note : These are only required when replacing or resealing the windshield. Please note: 3 required)

2 problems for me at the moment.
First I have no idea what I'm suppose to do with these pieces. It appears to have a sticky-back. But I'm having a heck-of-a-time lifting the cover to expose the sticky part...appears to be a 3m product...
Second they only sent me 1, the other 2 on back order....lol

Also, it appears not to be required for the back windshield molding.

I didn't see any mention of these items in this thread. Though, with the plethora of info I could have missed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99 View Post
I have no idea what those small pieces are. I never did anything but buy the cover and rip out the old, install the new. I don't think they are needed as far as I can tell. It says right above that part that it is for vehicles with "protective glazing" which to me means the thicker, heavier glass that is available for E39s. I had a buddy who installed the heavier glazing (i.e. glass window) on his car doors...not so sure about the front and rear ones, however.
Thx for the response, I went ahead and replaced my front molding (2001/525i/E39) yesterday and just skipped the "rubber buffer" pieces as I didn't see any place where they may fit into. Took me about 2+ hours, removing it went pretty smooth. Though, I had to be very careful with the metal frame leftover from the old molding that attaches to the windshield. I could not get much leverage from the old rubber molding since it was too brittle. I spent most of my time inserting the new molding, was a little tougher than I thought, not as easy for me as others indicated here. But overall very doable. Hell, if I can do it, anyone can.

1) Carefully removed old molding (20 mins)

2) Cleaned the grooves with car soap and goo-gone. Also, waxed the edges, just because (30 mins)

3) Installed new molding (45 mins). I think it took me so long because I'm a short guy..lol...I could not get the proper leverage to push the molding down, even with a stepper couldn't get a good base balance. Anywho, I managed and it looks decent, a definite improvement.

Materials list:
Front molding from (bavauto.com)($42.00)
-Goo-gone; used to clean the black silicone gunky stuff after removing the old molding
-Car wash soap, for cleaning the goo-gone
-Car waxed, just seem to be a good idea
-Pliers
-Flat-head screw-driver (wrapped the end with several layers of duct tape)
--needed that non-marring pry-tool seen a previous post

Plan on treating the my new molding with some type of protectant, any thoughts?