View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 4.4i
I bought a high mileage 2001 X5 4.4i 05/2013 it had 166,700 miles when I purchased it. I had heard a lot of horror stories about the 4.4i and so when the engine light came on I took it to a local BMW mechanic and there were a few issues that needed addressing...1. the condenser fan 2. secondary air injection pump and 3. a cam shaft sensor. To have all this done at the shop was going to run me $1450 with parts. I paid them to replace the camshaft sensor, so along with the inspection and repair I paid $258.00. After that I went to my own mechanic and purchased the necessary parts online and paid $500 including parts to have it fixed. I am thoroughly pleased with my purchase. It runs strong and fast and I am getting 18.9 mpg combine city highway which is about the same as I was getting with my 2011 Chevy Traverse LTZ before selling it and purchasing the X5. The X5 is way way more fun to drive and about the same level of comfort from a vehicle that is 10 years older. So I concur with most of the posters on here....be more concerned with the vehicles upkeep / maintenance records than with the mileage because these vehicle run great if they are maintained.