View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
2014 X3 Purchase question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
Sorry, just have to chime in while respecting that everyone has different priorities, price ranges, etc.

The premium package is expensive and, like you, I am not a fan of the moon roof. We almost never use it and it adds weight to a part of the car that doesn't need it. However, I am a really big fan of the keyless entry system. Just put the FOB in your pocket and never have to deal with keys again. We also really enjoy the Sirius radio and my wife, with a bad back, loves the lumbar support, so we ended up with a moon roof. Wish they'd add a delete option on that.

And, I am also a big fan of the 3.0-liter engine. The N55 is arguably one of the best engines BMW offers. It is extremely smooth, very powerful, and very efficient. I just drove a 2014 28 (loaner) and have to say that the bigger engine is transformational, like two separate vehicles. The 2.0-liter engine provides a normal experience with adequate power and reasonable smoothness. No complaints at all, but not exciting. The 3.0-liter engine is exceptional. Power seems effortless and more is nearly always on tap. Astounding torque at low speed, nice muted growl if you put your foot in it, but otherwise very quiet and as smooth as they come. And, our average fuel economy over 30K or so miles is between 24 and 25 mpg (light city and congested local interstate at 6200 ft elevation, and 3 long road trips). we've seen highs between 29 and 31 mpg (all highway at < 70 mph) while the lowest has been something like 22 mpg (winter, local commutes only). Higher speeds and heavier right foot would undoubtedly lower these numbers.

One final suggestion. If you can, do the PCD (Performance Center Delivery). You're not that far away and it's a great experience.

Have a good time with your new car!
I happen to like the roof but really agree with your comments. My biggest surprise is the number of folks that get the 28i but also pay $3K for the M package. I would think most would opt for the engine first and then if they had even more cash would then get the M.

Different likes for everybody for sure.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app