View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 05:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyankee View Post
At this point, I'm going M Sort with all the available packages, except now need to choose between cold weather package or the driver assist plus, which seem to be mutually exclusive for some unknown reason.

Here is a follow up question for the driver assistance plus package. Assuming that I don't think I need speed limit sign capture, or lane departure warning either, is there any other benefit of having the front facing camera? For instance, is it used in the top view display?

If the driver assistant plus is only the two advertised features, then I may go with the cold weather package to get heated rear seats (mild plus feature), but if there are any other hidden virtues in the driver assistant plus package, I'll go for that.

Thanks again all

The reason that ZCW (cold weather) and ZDB aren't compatible is because of the steering wheel. ZCW has a heated steering wheel. ZDB has a vibrating steering wheel (to tell you when you are veering out of lane). There isn't such thing as a vibrating AND heated steering wheel, so it is one or the other.

The speed limit info is a "nice" feature that I can take or leave but the lane departure I think is a good safety feature, especially if you are taking long roadtrips. You can order 494 (heated seats) as a separate item. I am unable to find the option code, and it might be built in to the lane departure warning option but there is a collision warning system too that uses that camera: it watches ahead and when you get too close, or when the rate of closure is too fast, it will visually and audibly alert you (it doesn't put on the brakes like other manufacturers but something is better than nothing). Finally, one last thing that camera does is if you get option 5AC (auto high beams), it watches for oncoming traffic and moves the high beams accordingly to keep from blinding people in front of you. The camera is not used for the top view; it is for the computer to use only.

Hope that answers your questions.