View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigster2 View Post
I was just about to put in an order for another, new, 2014 X3 28i the week of Sept. 30. From the announcement, it sounds like any 2014, 4 cylinder, X3 28i built before September likely has this brake issue and I should stay away from it. What I do not understand is has BMW stopped production in Spartanburg? Or has BMW fixed the issue in new production in the U.S. starting in September? Anyone have any insights?
The original post states that BMW has stopped the sale of all effected vehicles until the problem is rectified. If a BMW dealer delivers a new vehicle with the N20/N26 engine to you, then it will be one with the problem fixed.

What the message did not say is WHEN vehicles on the lot will be repaired or WHEN Spartanburg will begin shipping N20/N26 vehicles without the problem.

So to quote:
"What to do now
We have no choice but to wait for the letters and more information from BMW."

It sounds like it is an engine issue. The engines are built in Europe (not sure which plant), so that means that are a bunch of engines with the issue:
  1. In sold vehicles in customer's possession and driving the streets
  2. In vehicles on dealers' lots or enroute to the dealer (train/truck)
  3. In the Vehicle Delivery Centers
  4. In vehicles on ships
  5. In vehicles on the assembly line
  6. In inventory at the vehicle assembly plants
  7. In ships enroute from the engine factory to the assembly plants
  8. In inventory at the engine plant awaiting shipment
I will guess that 1 & 2 will be fixed by dealers, 2 & 3 at the VDCs, 5, 6,& 7 at the vehicle assembly plant and 8 at the engine factory

Whether they have already changed the engine mfg line to correct the problem is unclear. I would hope...but maybe that line is shut down awaiting updated parts

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine