View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 540i 6 Speed
First Bimmer Problem.. Engine Failsafe Prog

I was driving home yesterday, and when I got into my garage, my car just shut off on its own. Nothing like this has ever happened. I turned the car back on, and it seemed to start up just fine. Within a few seconds the RPMs were almost guessing between 500-1k RPMs. The car then shut off again, while the gong alarmed, 'Engine Failsafe Prog'.

Now the car will not start. When I turn the key, it sounds as it normally does, but simply will not start. No sputter or anything. Just a constant "dit dit dit dit dit". (Or at least that's how my ears interpret things.)

I popped the hood, and could smell a faint burning electrical smell. It didn't take long to find the source of the smell was coming from this plug/connector. (As photographed) It is the first connector toward the front of the car. I looked to see if any wires appeared to be damaged (to the left of the plug), and they do not at all. From what I gather this cable/wire runs down to this photographed piece. Apologies for my lack of knowledge here.

After researching this 'Engine Failsafe Prog' code, I saw a thread discussing the temp gauge in the cluster going all the way to red when the key is in the on position. My car does this. I can't honestly say I am certain it never did before (though I'm pretty sure that it did not), but if this is truly something unusual, it may be an important piece to the puzzle.

I do not have a code reader. I plan to order one today, hopefully that will provide more info than I can. I'm just hoping that maybe this has been an issue resolved from one of the guys here.

Thank you for any help. If there's any more info I've overlooked, please ask! Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	403107  
Advertisement