View Single Post
Old 08-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Radio Flyer Z38/5.7m
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDisappoint
545i Auto Trans - 2004 (FL): Jolt/Jerk/Clunk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do these things sound 'normal' to you?

BMW and the dealer service facility state that these conditions are 'normal':

From a speed of 30 mph (speed offered as example), as the gas pedal is released, to bring the vehicle to a stop or lower speed, when coasting, and/or while braking, as the vehicle begins to slow, the driver experiences a jerk/jolt forward a number times as the vehicle shifts/lurches down from gear to gear (the sensation seems to be caused by an abrupt increase, and then decrease in speed; at least that is what it if feels like, and sometimes it is associated with a clunking sound) as it comes to a final stop. Thus, as the transmission shifts downward from gear to gear so the passenger is correspondingly jerked.

[The above condition is said to be either related to [1] emission controls, or [2] “attributable to the tight relationship between the ‘valvetronic’ engine and the ‘steptronic’ transmission” as the reason for it.]

From a complete stop, when placed in reverse, and after releasing the brake pedal, without depressing the gas pedal, the vehicle suddenly moves in a backward motion and reaches a speed in excess of 5 miles per hour.
I have an '04 545ia with 2,500 miles on it, and have never experienced anything other than completely flawless smooth transmission operations under all conditions. If it wasn't for the Tach, I'd hardly know then the gears change. That which you are describing is not sound normal for any vehicle, much less a BMW.

Last edited by kd2789mo; 08-22-2004 at 04:23 PM.