View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994, 740i, E38
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16valex
You should first check your engine fan, this fan should turn on when the engine temperature reaches at a certain degree.
Alex
Are you actually overheating, or is the guage telling you red. The two are not the same. The sender unit may be getting hot, but the lump might be safe......

We assume you overheat whilst driving? Whilst driving, the fan is only contributing 20% of the cooling. The draft thru the rad caused by fwd motion is doing the work.

I would take a look at bleeding the system. Just because the rad expansion tank looks full tells you nothing. Are you getting hot air thru the blower in the cabin, if you select it to be hot? If no hot air, then I am 100% sure it's going to need a bleed. I would still wager it's 80% going to need a bleed.
I bleed mine with the front wheels on ramps, to ensure the bleed valves on Rad. and on thermo housing are the highest points of the system. I have a rubber pipe, fits nicely in the expansion tank filer hole, in which I blow like a crazy fool with the bleed valves open, turning to close them as I blow. What looks like a full system will need 1.5 more litres of coolant!
Be careful when blowing into the system......you may get a blow-back. Projectile vomiting is not appreciated in the engine bay. If you swallow it, you might die.