View Single Post
Old 09-08-2004, 11:12 AM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by descartes
I have a 2003 330I w/ pp and cwp and w/o nav. I have a few questions regarding XM Direct:

2) does the kit include everything I need to install it?
It contains all the components, cables, etc. (XM tuner, antenna, BlitzSafe adapter, instructions) but doesn't have any mounting hardware. The components are small, so you should be able to use some Velcro to stick them to your audio/NAV bracket.
Quote:
3) I have never done any modifications to a car. How difficult will it be to install myself?
Very easy. There are illustrated instructions. The hardest thing for most novices is finding the appropriate cables in the trunk - the CD changer cables are wrapped up in fuzzy tape, and there are a lot of cables back there. But there are good DIYs for CD changer installation to guide you in finding the right cables.
Quote:
5) I also read that the XM Direct allows pass through for a cd changer. I am contemplating adding one while I am installing the XM. I found on Crutchfield the following Alpine changer w/ mp3: Apine CHA-S634- for $300- Is there a better price out there? If I install the XM, do I still need these two adaptors: Alpine KCA-130B
Female Ai-Net to Male M-Bus Adapter and Blitzsafe BMWDMX1 OEM CD Changer Adapter
that Crutchfield recommends?
The XM Direct changer pass-through just sends the regular BMW changer signals through. If you want to use a non-BMW changer, you'll still need whatever adapters and cables are needed, just as though you were hooking that changer up to a BMW without XM Direct. You should be able to find a used BMW changer though, which will cut down on the number of cables and adapters back there.