View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Stuck in Monday

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_325i
No. Read the instructions that came with the XMDirect. They say that the scrolling of info is not available.

BTW, why does everyone think that they know better than the engineers at XM and Sirius? Both recommend the antenna be placed outside the car. The little XM antenna fits nicely on the trunk lid, and the thin wire runs right through a grommet in the trunk area and down into the unit. I did this -- certainly it was easier than snaking the wire into the car and around the seat -- and the only time I get a droput is when I drive through a tunnel or the deep mountain valleys in VT. But, I still read over and over agian that people mount the antenna behind the back seat. What is the advantage?
I put my antenna on the rear package shelf and dropped the wire straight into the trunk. It couldn't have been any easier. There was definitely no "snaking" of the wire. It is a VERY clean looking install, much better than on the trunk lid IMO. My reception is perfectly fine, even in the back corner of my large parking garage. No tunnels here, but going under large overpasses does not affect my reception at all. I also don't have to worry about anything happening to it sitting outside on the trunk. Call me crazy, but I honestly don't know if i would have done XM radio if I had to mount the antenna outside.

I could see problems and complaints arising from consumers in areas without as good reception, where optimal placement is key. I could also see complaints coming from owners who have metallic tint on their windows, which interferes with the reception. These kinds of considerations could easily lead to a broad recommendation for everyone to put their antenna outside.