View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 04:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl X5
Maybe the 4.8is engine was not fully broken in, but the 4.8s in this Aussie comparo test with the Cayenne seems awefully slow. In fact, it doesn't seem much faster than the "old", non-valvetronic X5 4.4i.

I do agree that the 4.8is is probably the most sporty X5 of all time especially with its stock exhaust system.
Naturally-aspirated BMWs road-tested in Australia perform significantly worse acceleration-wise. No Aussie car magazine could ever get an M5 to 62 mph (100 kmh) in less than 6 sec, for example, whereas a UK magazine coaxed one to 60 mph in 4.6 sec (so, 62 mph/100 mph in 4.9 or so). I think it's to do with

- higher ambient temperatures, especially in Melbourne summers (Melbourne is where the three main car mags are based, IIRC)
- poorer quality petrol
- possible tuning for lower RON, allowing the car to be driven on the six-month-old, part-evaporated 88 RON stuff you have to fill up with if you visit far-flung places, such as the Northern Territory - with no allowance for higher RON petrol where available

Even the few Australian cars which are exported to other places (GTO to the US, Monaro to the UK frinstance) often turn out better figures when tested abroad.