BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 minor damage cost :(

11K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  Kzang 
#1 · (Edited)
So I had momentary lapse and scrape my right back wheel against a column. I emailed pictures of the damages to my local BMW service shop and they said costs would be about $3500. I also had a local mechanic give me an estimate of about $800 to fix the damages. He told me he would be fixing the bodywork and only replacing the black moulding, saying replacing the panels would cost "thousands".

Is the reason why BMW estimate were so high because they don't do bodywork and only replace the body parts?

Damages
- Yellow scrape
- Black moulding
- Slight dent above wheel

See less See more
#2 ·
Body work at the dealer is very expensive, but that $3500 sounds insane for that. I would ask them what their assumption is on parts replacement, and still go somewhere else to get it fixed. The last time I got an estimate on body work was in '02 on my E46 coupe. Some dirt-bag vermin vandalized it one night when I was parked on the street, and the quote I got was a $2200. In my case, they needed to replace some chrome trim, repair a fender and door, and repaint/blend the whole thing. I got an indy shop to do the same work and faster for around $1500. Your damage seems much more minor than what I had.

As another reference, my wife damaged her brand new CRV back in '06 (very similarly to this), and they wanted just under $2K to repair it at Honda. I sent her to the same indy shop that fixed mine, and she got it repaired for $800. Honda was going to replace the plastic bumper and fix the body damage whereas the indy was able to remold the bumper. I would expect in your case, you can get this fixed for around a grand a reputable independent shop. BTW, I'm in SF and would expect labor rates to be quite similar to Manhattan...so that doesn't explain the crazy dealer price.

#3 ·
I think the BMW service guy was reluctant to give an estimate by email. I was only looking for a ballpark figure. But even then $3500 was shocking. The only reason I could think of why he would quote such a high price was because they would just replace the paneling rather than do any bodywork. The dent seems to be on the paneling that is one big piece extending all around the right 2 doors.

I was hoping someone here could clarify whether BMW service center did do bodywork rather than just replace parts.

#6 ·
I plan on going with my local mechanic since he has good reviews on Yelp doing foreign cars. $800 seems reasonable especially after getting quoted $3500. But I was willing to go up to $1500 with BMW since I would have the assurances that it would be done "right".

I was quoted $3500 by BMW Manhattan. I might try to see what BMW Bayside will quote. For such a minor scrape, it seems like overkill to replace the entire panel.

#10 ·
YOU are insane!

$800 is simply not enough to do this properly.

First, forget about using BMW dealers... why would you think this is necessary? Is this your first car in AMerica???? Don't think the dealer is the best place to go...

Here os what needs to be done:

Dissassembly- Wheel, liners, rear quarter window, bumper, tailights... about $600

Repair bumper skn or just replace- $400-1000

Repair quarter panel -300

Paint. Here is the big deal. To PROPERLY repair a clear coat paint, the entire panel where there is damage must be re-clearcoated.... so for that little dent, after the metal is repaired, they will prep that quarter panel all the way to the edges of the panel- then they will oolor coat the bumnper and the repaired area, paying careful attention to color match the repair so it is blended into the panel...THEN they clear coat the whole panel and the bumper. $1400

You are in a tough spot- I suspect immigrant, plus you are in NYC where everyone gets screwed...so you are trying to do this via email. Better to find a very good shop, and go with what they say.

I often see cars driving around with repairs like your $800 proposal... and wonder what kind of owner would put up with that...

3500 may seem high, and may BE high..but for you to make a decision based on email is nuts, and the fact that you know nothing about body work makes this a really tough evaluation

#20 ·
I see that it is through the paint. I re-painted many cars in my time. Touch up done properly is no hack job. There are many shops that specialize in that. I would do it myself though. It's right on the crease not in the middle of a panel. Stop by any PPG or automotive refinish supplier. Get two part single stage in the color code of the car. Get a small artist brush. Clean up the wound with lacquer thinner. Apply the paint. Let it flash. Apply a second coat, Keep building it up flush with the surrounding paint. Let the paint dry for a week to make sure it completely rids of solvents or it will keep evaporating after the polish out and will sink. Get really fine sandpaper 800, and wet sand the new built up paint flush with the clear. Take care to sand only the built up layer. On a crease it will be really easy. You can follow up with 1500, Just a few passes will do. Then put some rubbing compound on a terry towel and polish it out completely. It really is no biggie on a crease like that on the bottom of a panel. If it was in the middle of the hood. I'd say take it to a pro. But this is really super easy. Done it many times with very good results. In the middle of panels too. This is the way to do this repair. The dealer wants to repaint the entire panel. Basically the entire side of the car, save doors. Blend and re clear. $3,000 seems not too far for a very high quality job. They rarely are though. And you still end up with 8-10 mills of paint in the best case instead of 5. Put my paint thickness gauge on it and it will show the entire side has been repainted. So don't talk to me about hack jobs.
We agree here.

But the point is that there is a "very high quality job" and there is the cheap job.... Everyone has to make their OWN decision on what THEY want.

My poiny is a clueless consumer shopping blindly via email and evlauating repairs solely based on price and yelp ratings will NOT have everything they need to make a decision.

To be clear, there is ONE way to do it "right". Right means it can only be detected by a paint meter, and will withstand 10 years of car washes and UV exposure. There are other methods, but these will all be trade offs in quality, durability and esthetics.

I think I said this before, but ANY owner that was hit by another driver like this - such that the OTHER insurer is paying- would go APESPIT crazy if the other insurer said they were going to use the cheap method.

No problem saving money, but lets be honest about the qulaity you are buying... throwing dealers and body shops under the stealer bus is unfair when THEY are doing it 'right'

A

#21 ·
We agree here.

But the point is that there is a "very high quality job" and there is the cheap job.... Everyone has to make their OWN decision on what THEY want.

My poiny is a clueless consumer shopping blindly via email and evlauating repairs solely based on price and yelp ratings will NOT have everything they need to make a decision.

To be clear, there is ONE way to do it "right". Right means it can only be detected by a paint meter, and will withstand 10 years of car washes and UV exposure. There are other methods, but these will all be trade offs in quality, durability and esthetics.

I think I said this before, but ANY owner that was hit by another driver like this - such that the OTHER insurer is paying- would go APESPIT crazy if the other insurer said they were going to use the cheap method.

No problem saving money, but lets be honest about the qulaity you are buying... throwing dealers and body shops under the stealer bus is unfair when THEY are doing it 'right'

A
Not about money even. Having repainted bumper covers is one thing. Having repainted side of the car is totally different. There really is no way to hide a seam. And again, you will have body filler in the damage area and paint that is 30-40% thicker on the entire side of the car not just the quarter panel. The paint damage is right on the crease from what I can see. Quality Single Stage will last the life of the car. It's still a catalyzed paint layer, so it will not dissolve with thinner like regular touch up would. I'd rather fill the scratch with single stage and polish out to where you can not notice or always look at the car as a repaint. That's just me.

#8 ·
I have had body work done at BMW Manhattan on my 2003 X5 and my 2007 X3. They do not do the work in house, they contract out to shop in Queens if I remember correctly. Their work was very good, but I negotiated to about 50% of their original estimate in both cases. BE sure to explain this is not insurance work but you are paying yourself. They will fix body panels and repair bumper covers. My guess without taking a look in person, a dealer should be somewhere around $1500 for that type of damage. My 2009 X5 had more damage in a similar location when returned on lease and the damage charge was $1500 to $2000.

#13 · (Edited)
Dude, that's literally nothing. Especially in NYC. The damage on metal is barely through the clear and only on the crease. You could easily have a painless dent repair guy fix it for $75 and touch up the rash on the crease with touch up. I would touch up the bumper too. If the bumper bothers you, you can get it refinished for $350. I wouldn't in NYC. Just touch it up. You can buy the plastic molding for $75 or less and install it yourself in five minutes time.

#17 ·
Thanks but I'm not handy with this type of stuff. Right now, just glad I can get this taken care of for $800. Well I'll feel better once I've seen the results. Body mechanic is replacing the moulding with OEM part, he said it would cost $120. The rest of the cost is labor and paint I think.

#15 ·
Ya, as stated above, it comes down to how you want it to look. Had a similar repair on my wife's MDX completed for cheap by a 'shop' that the local car dealers use for minor bumper type repairs. Looked ok and likey not noticeable by others. Over time, it looked 'less good' but by then the car was aging anyway. Would I go that route again? Likey -- but not if it was 'my' car instead of the wife's....

#24 ·
Really good job, nice to see folks perform their skill. That doesn't happen often sad to say.

#25 ·
I experience similar damage a few months ago to my new 2012 X5. My guy was referred to me by the BMW dealer in Columbus, GA. He pulled the finder and repainted, new black strip, new front deflector all for $1500 with OME parts. Did a marvelous job...... can't tell it was repainted from any angle.

#27 ·

I'd reject that on a new car- it is an obvious touch up.

Look, that is fine work if you are into touch up- but real repairs, where you restore the condition to 'as new', is not what we are looking at here.

Given that cars are crap in NYC, this is probably acceptable, but it pains me to see the public 'dumbed down' with stories like this.

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
Lol, now you just acting like a prick.

They did an excellent job restoring the clearcoat paint. I've seen attempts trying to use OEM BMW touch-up paint and other stuff like Langka and you can usually tell those are touch-up attempts.

Again if anyone with a Bimmer needs some work in the NYC area. You see the results and the price. If you like what you see, give Chris a try.

#29 ·
LOL. It's not an act.

:)

#35 · (Edited)
No, actually you can see the paint defects in the color coat...once I get to a real computer I'll post the detail that shows people where to look.

Edit- Here:

It is real obvious, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch right at the scratched area...lets hope the OP actually can understand what repairs are supposed to look like. The comment that it is reflections in the photo seem strange.

Fine for touch up, just not a proper repair.

I'd agree this is a good value, but not equivalent to a BMW job

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.