BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2010 Z4 Brochure Pics

6K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  caylan 
#1 ·
http://jalopnik.com/5109314/2010-bmw-z4-brochure-scans-leak

I really love the sweeping lines, and the way they carry through from nose to tail. It recalls some of the fluidity of the Z3 that was lost on the Z4, with the disconcerting Z pillar.

But I still think the door sills look too high, and bath tub-y. It'll make it super hard to order at a drive-thru when the top is up.

Still, a very pretty car IMHO. :thumbup:

#7 · (Edited)
If I had just purchased a roadster, I'd be pretty upset right now. I'm not head over heels from those scans, but it is a nice update and does make the current generation look dated already. BUT, since I bought a coupe, I'm relieved that my car is still much better looking that the new Z4. :D

Oh, forgot to mention that I do not like the location of the climate controls at all. Looks tacky. I do however like that they added the upper vent temp control wheel. That's so nice to have as you can crank the heat but still keep it cool on your face. I also was originally a bit jealous of the new shifter when I saw some of the spy shots, but after using one in an X5 for 2 days last week, I realized I prefer my current setup. I'll have to see this in person for a final judgment, but right now it's more positive than negative. Just have to black out those front silver vents...and maybe the grill.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Just went through the press release photo's. I think it's a nice looking car, but it lost it's edge. Front looks like the rest of the BMW lineup at this point, and I don't think that's a good thing. Seems like there's a ton going on to make it aggressive, yet it isn't.:dunno: Looks like there's been a lot of upgrades and luxury added, so it should compete nicely with the SLK on that front now. And that 300hp/300tq option should be an animal...must say I'm a bit jealous about that power. I'd love to take one out for a comparison ride, but on looks alone, I'm very happy with my current Z.

#11 ·
I heard early rumors that they were going to be making the new Z smaller, more in line with Mazda Miata's, but the new Z will actually be 5.8 inches longer than the outgoing model.

Personally, I was hoping it would shrink down a bit, and go against the trend of cars getting bigger and heavier. Too bad...

From first impressions, It seems as if the deep swoops on the sides of the current Z4 have been made less dramatic. So it's more in line with the current 1 and 3 series. I like the wildness of Bangle's early models.

#12 ·
I think the design of the new Z4 is great, much better than the current one.

Too bad about the weight. hard top.

The SDrive name is stupid.

I guess there's now room for a soft top Z2.

#13 ·
Yuk. : puke: The front looks messy to me. From the side, it's lost all its personality. It's like a shrunken 6-series (which I've always thought of like a boat), crossed with an SLK. FYI, here in Beijing, I regularly get people gaping/staring at my M Coupe and taking pics with their camera phones as I pass on the highway, etc. No one's going to do that with this car - it just blends in.... :thumbdwn:

On the dynamics side, I can't get over the weight and likely lack of a hardtop. This car looks seems more designed for tooting around the beach than a track. It's a shame BMW is moving further and further away from building light and somewhat raw, sporty cars. :( I don't even know what manufacturer I like anymore.... :dunno:

#15 ·
We own the last true M cars - appreciate that fact.

#14 ·
Decision made:thumbup:

I'll be keeping mine - new one looks too much like a shrunk down 6 series - sorry to all those that like the looks - not for me I'm afraid.

#16 ·
I kept looking at the first set, trying to figure out what I didn't like.

Then I hit the blue colored ones. And realized, BMW's use of that beige/gold/Camry metallic color does this car no favors. It looks so much better in the darker blue.

I'm in. I think it's a huge visual improvement over the current Z4. It flows together, one complete design, not a car of elements that don't look connected.

But damn, it's a fat little sucker. It needs to lose about 10% of its weight. But then again, I probably should too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.