BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The "I'm looking/shopping for a 6 series" and have some questions thread....

241K views 399 replies 209 participants last post by  Six-Demon-Bag 
#1 ·
The "I'm looking/shopping for a 6 series" and have some questions thread....

what up fellas i just finished payin off this car ive had for a about 2 yrs. i see like 05 06 6ers for around 40 45. besides the sick look of the ride any body wanna add something to further convince. the price and looks got me already. Thanks.

#138 ·
Absolutely. Thanks for the input. After reading in these and other forums of the misleading and stunts of third parties I rather go cpo or none at all. My problem is finding the right car. They currently have nothing available on the certified search engine, nationwide. The only cars I find to my liking are private party and ind dealer. In both cases, I'm reluctant. Is is possible tht BMW has unlisted inventory?

#140 · (Edited)
Keep in mind folks, you can find a CPO car being sold by a private party! The car is Certified Pre-Owned - it is not a Certified Pre-OWNER! Just make sure you run the seller's VIN and verify if you go the private route and that it is still intact.

In addition, there are other options:

You may purchase a car with less than 100k miles, and take it to the BMW dealer and have it inspected to see how much it would cost to get an extended warranty. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS A CPO CAR.

The only entity that can CPO a car is BMW - and this is done on only 2 occasions - when the car is new, and the 6 year /100k mile warranty is purchased (comes with other constraints to maintain it), and also when the dealer takes in a used car, and puts it through inspections and ensures maintenance is up to spec, then can Certify the Pre-Owned car for resale.

There are also aftermarket warranties, not by BMW, that have a long list of exclusions, but may offer you enough piece of mind for the price (typically about $1k to $2k less vs from BMW, and sometimes offered outside of typical year/mileage restrictions).

In addition, there are numerous other warranties, but there is also some confusion regarding the $0 maintenance - which is NOT part of CPO, although happens to be for the same term of the original warranty of 4 years/50k miles. This CAN INDEED be extended to 6 years/100k miles, but it is again separate of the original warranty or the CPO. It is referred to as the extended maintenance plan.

Also, with CPOed cars there is PRE-PAID maintenance. You pay a monthly fee, have a deductible, and it is similar to having the extended maint plan.

Off the top of my head, there are a lot of other separate plans: As previously mentioned, there are tire plans, but also there is dent/ding protection, paint protection, interior upholstery protection, LOJACK, roadside assistance, sat radio, etc. These are once again, ALL TOTALLY SEPARATE from warranty.

IMHO, I would simply purchase a CPO car, and pay a slight premium, but not more than 15% of the total vehicle cost versus a non-CPO.

I am also in Atlanta and if anyone needs advice or simple local help, lmk - I would be happy to lend a hand in any way I can.

GL!

#139 ·
I had the best luck getting leads on CPOs with autotrader.com and cars.com.

#142 ·
To answer your question, Yes - pre-paid maintenance IS an option.

To clarify for you, no cost maintenance (brakes, oil, etc) is NOT part of any CPO itself. CPO is considered an extension of the 4yr/50kmi original warranty.

#144 ·
You got it!

The trick would be to find one from a Private Party that is CPOed, has extended maintenance, and your color combo preferences - all within your budget! EASY! ;)

Good luck, and be sure to report back to us here on your purchase!

#145 ·
Is anyone interested in taking over my 650i convertible lease?
Pm me for details if you are interested
Thank you

#146 ·
I last posted that I was picking up my daughter, just returning from Afghanistan, in her new (to her) '08 650i vert. She happily giggled as she drove it, singing "Ride, Sally, Ride", and that's what she named her car: "Sally." Later, while she in "Sally" was following me as I drove my MINI, it looked like a Stealth Bomber following me. lol She is keeping her '02 X5, named "JoJo."

#147 ·
2007 vs 2008 650i

Hi All!
I'm looking at both a 2007 650i convert and a 2008 650i convert. Both have about 35K miles, and are both CPO. Both have Nav, Cold Weather, and Sport packages. The only differences are that the 2008 has paddle shifters and HUD.

My question is which one has the least services issues? How are the transmission reliabilities, etc.? Would you pick one over the other for any reason? I'd rather be driving the car, then have it continually in the shop. :)

I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before I pull the trigger.

#148 ·
Both cars sound awesome. I think I would lean towards the 2008 for the extra year of CPO and the HUD/paddles.

If you can, try to get the service history for each from a dealer and see if either car has been in multiple times for the same issue. That is a good indication that there is a problem that the dealer cannot fix (pass on that car).

The biggest concern would probably be a recurring top issue (see Top Not Locked threads on this board). Check for accidents reported on CarFax/CarProof and I would still get a pre-purchase inspection on the car you plan on buying.

#149 ·
Thanks for the reply Yorgi.

I looked at the CarFax, and both seem good. Both have excellent service records. No accidents, that have been reported.

I've never had an SMG, which I am assuming the 2008 is, since it has paddle shifters. I've read some reviews on it, and some reviewers absolutely hate the SMG. I took out an M3 SMG the other day, and experienced some crazy head-slapping against the headrests. So, that was a little disconcerting... but the rep says the car has to be reset, and learn my driving patterns. Is that true, or just BS?

The pre-purchase inspection sounds like an excellent idea. And I will get right on that Top Not Locked thread.

I was just told by other BMW owners to make sure there are no common/recurring issues, especially with the transmission... but more especially with the SMG because of the added electronics and computer control.

#151 ·
I've never had an SMG, which I am assuming the 2008 is, since it has paddle shifters. I've read some reviews on it, and some reviewers absolutely hate the SMG.
The 2008 650 has SSG, not SMG. SSG is just shifting the gears from the steering wheel, but the car is still a completely automatic transmission. I use it all the time to downshift - quite fun.

but the rep says the car has to be reset, and learn my driving patterns. Is that true, or just BS?
Yes, search transmission reset - it's basically a press of the gas pedal.

#154 ·
Ok. I'm hearing from the BMW rep that the 2007 BMW 650i had engine and/or transmission problems. And that with the 2008 BMW 650i, they fixed the issues. Is that a load of garbage to get the upsell, or is that on the up and up?
What "issues" exactly? You say the '07 had engine/transmission repairs but don't mention what was fixed on the '08.

Based on the info so far I'd be leaning towards the '08.

#156 ·
LOL... I love when BMW personnel tell you to ignore what you read on the internet. The combined online community is very knowledgeable and we don't need to tow the company line when talking about embarrassing design flaws etc...

A good example - on 6ers the battery requires a tender on weekends if you take < 30 min trips every time you drive the car. (ie short commute to work). BMW does not call this a "design defect", they tell you it's an "unfavorable driving profile" like it's our fault the battery is going dead.

Let us know if you get the car and post pics. The '08 sounds like a great car and the CPO will give you peace of mind for a few years.

#157 ·
2005 645

i have a 2005 645 w just turned 60000, the car is in excellent condition. its all blacked out, light rims interior. i also installed the bmw ipod connect and upgraded the computer program (nav, mods, audio, car info) to the new version. car has recently when in for an oil change and had a complete check up done. everything passed. if intrested feel free to msg me. im located in new jersey.

#158 ·
What's up all? This is my first post on Bimmerfest. I've been checking out the posts and many of u seemed to graduate top of the class with all things 6 series! I hope to share some knowledge as well as time goes on.I'm looking into buying a 650 and was hoping I could bounce some stuff off of you all. So this post is gonna be kind of loaded.

I'm in NY and have been looking for a CPO 2008 white drop top with either tan or saddle interior. I like the '08 because of the upgraded headlights and interior updates. In any case what would you say is a fair price for the '08 with sports package, cold weather package premium sound, comfort access package. Miles approx 35k. I can't find for less than $52k anywhre on the east coast. Also tried searching private but not much luck with finding the '08's in white/tan. I'm willing to travel outside of NY but still see em in the same price range. NADA has them at $45k excellent condition trade in price.
Also with comfort access on this model, do you have to put the electric key in the ignition port to start it? Or can you keep it in the pocket?

#160 ·
Welcome - I was searching for a similar 2007 about a year ago, and seemed to find the best deals on CPO's here in the southeast. Although I originally like the burghandy with beige interior, they were so hard to find that I ultimately went with black on beige and found a bigger selection at a better price (I found a CPO 2007 with the same mileage about a year ago for $40k). Now, the 2008's a little more attractive with the updated headlights, etc., but if you broaden your seach to the southeast, you might find what you want and if not, maybe look at a couple more popoular colors (for listings try cars.com, autotrader, ebay, bmwusa.com and some dealers actually list on craigslist.org). Oh, and to answer your question, my 2007 has comfort access which means I can touch the door handles to unlock/lock and can start the engine with my key in my pocket.

Happy hunting!

#159 ·
'05 645 convertible

Welcome! I have an 05 645 convertible and I can not overstate my enjoyment and pleasure with the car. Every time I get in it I get a stupid sh** eating grin on my face. I love the sound of the exhaust and the handling and response is exceptional. I really have to watch it or I am waaaaaaaaayyyy over the speed limit. With that said, when my new car warranty expired I have to pay for the maintenance and it is quite expensive. I bought mine in Feb 2006 when it had about 3,000 miles on it - apparently the first owner had issues with getting in and out of the car and I saved a fortune as there was snow on the ground and not much of a market for convertibles and I drove a very hard bargain and basically picked up the car at its wholesale price but they pulled the CPO option to allow me to get the wholesale price.

I'm not mechanically inclined and I tend to not trust non-dealer shops to maintain a car this complicated and temperamental. I know I can save money by going outside the dealers but I want the car maintained correctly. For example, at 39,000 miles I had to have the brake system serviced; this included blowing out the system and replacing a filter and it cost over $300! The filter was about $160 and the service manager agreed that the filter consisted of less than $5 worth of materials. I also recently replaced all 4 tires which set me back $2,200 for the same tires the car came with. I have the 19" tires and bought them at a Firestone shop - no reason to have the dealer replace the tires as that is a fairly straight forward process and I expect the dealer would have been several hundred $$ more. Also, I experience electronics related issues off and on. Once the covertible top didn't lock properly; thankfully it was still under warranty. The electronics sometimes just simply don't respond so I wait a few minutes and then they usually work but I hear that electronics issue are normal for BMWs.

Bottom line: I would buy the car again if I had a "do over" option. If I could swing it, I would definitely go for the M version and manual transmission (I don't live in a huge city though and the constant shifting of stop and go traffic would push me to stay with an auto transmission. Good luck with your hunt. BTW, I was at the dealer yesterday for routine maintenance and looked at the 2012 650 convertibles and all I can say is SWEET! Oh, my I wish I could afford to get another one.

#161 ·
Hey guys, I know it's been forever and a day since my first post but I've been consumed with work. Thank for the welcome and the advice! i've found something interesting. I found a 2008 white 650i convertible with tan interior, comfort Access, sports package, cold weather package, and premium sound package and 34k miles. was listed for 52k on the bmw CPO website, but the internet price on craigs list, which was put up by the dealer was $50k. they dont mention the internet price to you sometimes unless you bring it up. in any case, i was able to get the deler down to $48,500. There are some pebble chips in the hood and bumper as well as a spider web crack in th bumper. Do you guys think it's worth it? This guy thinks he's giving me a deal. but i saw a coupe with all of those options plus night vision for $44,500 (not a vert and it has black interior).

How much do you guys think it will cost to get a bmw rear bumper repaired and resprayed? I will try to get a picture for you guys.

Do you guys think it will be more trouble than it's worth to get this car with the bumper damage? the surface is smooth but yo ucan feel a bump in the bumper where the paint is cracked. it looks like at some point, the previous owner must have backed into something. The rear left bumper light is cracked too, which they would change.

#162 ·
Sounds like a good deal, considering its a CPO vert in the NE with desirable options. They should be able to touch up all the pebble chips so they're not that noticeable. On the bumper, I would check the carfax to make sure it doesn't have an accident on the report, and have a body shop confirm the damage isn't that bad inside the bumper. I would get a couple of quotes on the damage (one from the dealer's body shop or the dealer's referral shop, and another from an independent shop). With the plastic bumper it may have to be replaced, which could be a little costly. That way you would know what you're up against, and could use those quoted $'s as part of additional negotiations on price.

IMO, you are just starting the perfect time of year to buy a vert - I bought mine at the end of October after searching for several months. The dealer knew that vert's don't sell as much in the winter, and didn't want to hold it in inventory for six more months before they could sell it in the spring. Be patient and you'll find the perfect deal.

#163 ·
Thanks GregB, I'm out of town today but i'm having a friend who is pretty knowledgeable go and check it out for me. i may just leave it alone since i'm starting to see other 650's come up! Hopefully they dont have any body damage as well. When i told the dealer that the car has been on the lot for 2 months and that fall is around the corner and sales would start to slow, this fool told me that whatever they dont sell, they sell back to BMW corp. Has anyone ever heard of that? i like the light tan interior over the black interior with the white 650s, but can someone tell me how much harder it is to maintain? Does it get dirty/stained pretty easily. i can't convince myself to swing towards the black interior even though it would probably be more durable.

Also, how do you post pics in here?

#164 ·
PM (private message) sent to you.

#167 ·
The top will wear out faster if you don't garage the car but it's not a huge issue. A new top will cost you less than $2K installed if you go aftermarket. If you end up with a convertible make sure you use RaggTopp twice a year on the top to protect it.

Check out this thread for common 6er issues.

The 2006+ cars have significant upgrades so I would try to pick up a 2006 if you can swing it.

#166 · (Edited)
I am interested in a 645 (~2004-2005), don't have a garage and would like to find out more about:

- Longer term ownership and any common issues

- Any owner who does not have a garage over the last few years

- Ragtop in weather over long term (no garage) not having owned a ragtop before.

Thx.

#169 ·
btw, i just purchased an out of state car and i would highly recommend you have a certified bmw mechanic to do the pre purchase inspection. that way, they have all the tools to hook up into the computer and run diagnostics on any hidden historical or current check engine lights. dont settle for one of those generic pre inspection companies as they are not equipped to inspect your bmw thoroughly. check yelp for reviews of shops in the area then have the most qualified shop take a look at it.

#171 ·
550i to 650i

Greetings 650i lovers,
I presently drive an 07 550i and while helping a friend pick out her 330i, I spied the 650s, something I'd never thought of before. Primarily because I lived where it snowed and now have moved south.

In generally looking at 07 650i and 08 650i, I see some advantages on both. For example, 07 is lower priced I.E. ranging from 38K-44K while mileage ranges from 13K-79K. With the 08s I'm noticing mileage ranging from 20K-79K but prices from 42K-54K. While primarily looking at CPO vehicles, the 08 attraction is the .9% finance but the pricing of the 07s is more within my comfort area.

My question and I understand this depends quite a bit on the carfax data and how the car was maintained, at what mileage would YOU feel comfortable purchasing a used 650i convertible? It seems not many feel comfortable with the non cpo vehicles but there are a number of them out there for a few 000's less than the prices I've posted, including 08s more in line with the 07 cpo pricing.

I have considered going out of state but would probably trade my 550i on the 659i so a bit closer to home is beneficial.

Thanks,
Fogger

#172 · (Edited)
Greetings 650i lovers,
I presently drive an 07 550i and while helping a friend pick out her 330i, I spied the 650s, something I'd never thought of before. Primarily because I lived where it snowed and now have moved south.

In generally looking at 07 650i and 08 650i, I see some advantages on both. For example, 07 is lower priced I.E. ranging from 38K-44K while mileage ranges from 13K-79K. With the 08s I'm noticing mileage ranging from 20K-79K but prices from 42K-54K. While primarily looking at CPO vehicles, the 08 attraction is the .9% finance but the pricing of the 07s is more within my comfort area.

My question and I understand this depends quite a bit on the carfax data and how the car was maintained, at what mileage would YOU feel comfortable purchasing a used 650i convertible? It seems not many feel comfortable with the non cpo vehicles but there are a number of them out there for a few 000's less than the prices I've posted, including 08s more in line with the 07 cpo pricing.

I have considered going out of state but would probably trade my 550i on the 659i so a bit closer to home is beneficial.

Thanks,
Fogger
I was faced with the same question about a year ago when I wanted to buy a 650 vert - to me, the best balance b/n low mileage and value/depreciation was in the 30k - 40K miles range. That way, you still had the broad base warranty and free service to kick in to take care of any issues that showed up in the first year of ownership (until 4 yrs/50k). So, folowing that theory, you would want an '08 in that mileage range. I suspect the '08 vert prices will drop some over the next several months, as dealers will know vert's move slower in winter and won't want to hold them from now/Nov/Dec until things pick up for vert's in May/June/July. (I bought my '07 vert CPO last Oct. with 36k miles, and got no-cost service extended until 6 yr/100k by BMW NA promotion). Feel free to pm me with any questions - be patient and good luck on your search!

#173 ·
Greg to Greg...excellent feedback. The patience thing is where I need to stay focused. I typically get on a track of wanting to change and move pretty swiftly. I'll keep looking but will stay patient while doing so.

I'd say you got a super deal. This is my second bimmer and it seems to me that prices are up higher than in years past when I was looking. No actual data to back that up but just a review of prices I see these days on CPO cars. There are some deals on non-cpo cars and though I've had no major issues with my 2 5ers, I've felt the extra $ was worth the level of comfort. I don't drive my cars too hard though so maybe that's why I've not had many issues. My wife thinks I'm an aggressive driver but that's the bimmer talking, if you know what I mean.

#174 ·
I just bought a '05 645ci coupe, Silver on black leather and satin chrome finish. 26K miles for $35k. Car is in great condition. One
problem that is fixed, a cracked rear 19" ellipsoid, thought is was a slow leak in the RFT but no. Bought a reconditioned wheel and
put on Hankook Ventas V12 and love the ride. Also bought a Continental Mobility Kit from Tire Rack. I had M3s, an M5. M Roadster and 540.
Loved them all but really like the M5 and now just really love the lines of the 6. Like the vert as well but had one before and
truly only lowered the top a couple times a year in the spring and fall.

#183 ·
I just have to get this car. I love it. Can a baby seat fit in the back? If so, what would be the best year and are there any issues with the vehicle? I.e...transmission?
To answer your 1st question, yes, a baby seat can fit in the back. I have a 3 year old & she fits fine in the back. I have to push the passanger seat up a bit, but that's mainly to keep her from kicking it, although they are hard plastic on the back so it can't really get damaged. I have a 2005 645ci & so far so good, but I bought it w/ very low miles. I got it in a great deal from a local dealer, it was well taken care of by it's prior owner. Off the top of my head I can't list "known" issues, but do some research & read car reviews about the 6. Bottom line is it's a pricey car to own & maintain (a tire alone can be $450+), but there are warranties available. I think it's a great vehicle, my 1st BMW & I can't see myself going back to any other car.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.