BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Comfort Keyless Entry System Question

11K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  voip-ninja 
#1 ·
I have read a lot about the comfort keyless entry system that is included in the premium package that includes the foot kick to open the trunk and touching the handle to unlock the door with your key in your pocket.

My question basically involves what the setup is for the base model and for cars that do not have the premium package (comfort keyless system)

Do those vehicles just get a standard remote with a lock and unlock on it? Is there a trunk release button on the standard remote?

Thanks!

#3 ·
I had the previous model, but I think the system is the same.

Comfort Access (CA) has all the features you mentioned. Standard system is a key remote similar to any other key fob these days. You can lock/unlock with the fob and you can open the truck and roll down the windows. CA allows you to hit the start button without inserting the key (you just need to have it with you). The "regular" system just means you insert the fob into a slot, push the brake pedal and then hit the start button.

In short the standard system is no different than almost any other modern system on cars today. CA, just allows for more convenience.

#7 ·
With comfort access, can you also lock the doors when exiting the car by touching the lock area on the door handle?

I'm actually a bit concerned that there is no backup key contained within the fob, which is what all of the other manufacturers do. How are you supposed to get into the car and start it in an emergency if the key fob electronics have stopped functioning?

#8 · (Edited)
Comfort access allows you to unlock the door by simply putting your hand in the handle and lock the door by touching the ribs on the top of the door handle. Very neat feature!

There is a key in the fob -

If the key battery dies you can use the physical key to unlock the door. Then put the key fob next to the steering column at the indicated location and start the car. Same technology that is in any electronic drive away protection key that has been used for 10+ years. Physically turning a key doesn't start the car unless the chip in the key tells the computer it is allowed. Turning a key or pressing a button is all the same if you think about it.

Tim

#12 ·
With the CA feature, you can unlock the car, get in, start it and drive away without ever having to touch the key. My question is... what is the range of the key? I typically hang my keys on a key-rack just inside the door from the garage to the house. It would pretty much suck to drive away and forget the key at home! :eeps:

On related notes, what prevents another person from opening a door while you are trying to get into the car? (The typical woman in a dark parking lot scenario.) Or what happens if you get out of the car while it's running?

#13 ·
The range of the key for CA is rather short, a couple feet at most. It is also oriented so it know which side of the car the key is on. If the key is on one side of the car you cannot put your hand in the handle and unlock the car from the other side.

If you get out while the car is running it continues to run. There are cases of Bimmerfest members starting the car then leaving the key and getting stranded.

Tim

#16 ·
On the rental my wife and I had, we got a warning pop up on the i-drive screen that warned us when we opened a door that the ignition had not been shut off. The car is so quiet it is very easy to leave the car running and not even realize it.

It would be nice if the CA feature automatically shut the engine off and possibly locked the doors if someone gets out with the key and walks off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.