BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Dinan Suspension Review

24K views 143 replies 24 participants last post by  Airjoe 
#1 ·
Just a teaser for now. I just got my car back from the dealer and I will do a full write-up tonight.

Here's how she looks:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Luxury vehicle

See less See more
#46 ·
About $1500 when you factor install, but still that's a lot of points for $1500.

#50 ·
Dunder - Anxious to hear how it rides over not-so-smooth roads?
I only head down to DC when my job takes me there. So far I have been spared the trip. ;)

#51 ·
BMW of SS is refunding me $500 + tax due to charging me the initial incorrect price they got from Dinan. :clap:

#53 ·
The Winter rubber still looks good, but I did ask for a quote on the Dinan Exhaust/tune. :D

#54 ·
I'm having them install everything but the tune during PDI. I'm sure they'll have the software released by the time my car arrives, but I also want to wait until the break-in period expires before flashing. I'd like a chance to see what the difference in performance is.

#55 ·
When is your install? I might happen by BMW or SS when it's time to pick up your car. ;)

#56 ·
Nothing scheduled yet. I don't have a definitive delivery date for the car. I'll PM you once I know more.

On the subject of exhaust - black or chrome tips? Black would mesh well with the M-Sport diffuser, but the chrome would look more M5-like. I may ultimately add the M5 diffuser.

#57 ·
I'm thinking black tips for my car.

#62 ·
I know, but apparently the designers at BMW think it's cool to make the "Sport" version look like the "Hertz" version. :p

Same reason I hate the black plastic "Shadowline" trim. It used to be a nice anodized (looking) version of the chromed trim. Now it's shiny black plastic that scratches easily. Guess "shiny black" reminds me of two many bad late 80's and early 90's cars... :eeps:

#66 ·
I like them both. To me, it's not a "look at me" thing. Just what works better with the overall appearance. With the M-Sport valence, I agree the dark tips are more appropriate. However, I just so happen to have a painted M5 rear diffuser sitting in a box at my office (*points under desk*) that I'm intending on installing once the Dinan exhaust goes in. Since that piece is body color, I think the chrome tips might look a little better.

For the record: I'm not trying to make my 550 into a fake M. I would have waited and just bought one. I just prefer the look of it to the M-Sport valence.

#67 ·
I agree chrome/stainless looks better with body color valances.

#69 ·
I recently met up with a member who has an AW Msport 550i with the roof painted black and the rear diffuser as well with the blacked out kidney grills and man did the car look good. Not look at me but the black and white contrast really give the car a sporty look which I like.

#72 ·
It is a good sign you think she likes class and comfort, while it might be she is attracted to the boyish side in you, toying with your car as you do. No real fun in the S or 7, they have a sort of arrivage - boredom image, keep away as long as possible from there there is no way back....

#73 ·
I think depending on the color of your car and the look your trying to achieve the 3 different tip options, matte, shiny black and Chrome are all nice. My them is all black on black everything so matte it is for me. Unless the make a carbon fiber tip. Then I would consider that route. Carbon fiber tip would probably be sick. I'm just using my imagination for that though..

#80 ·
Dinan exhaust mod is nothing more than a new set of mufflers and tips. Personally, I think it's a total ripoff but, well, what do I know.

So there is no reason it can't be done without any tune.

#81 ·
Dinan exhaust mod is nothing more than a new set of mufflers and tips. Personally, I think it's a total ripoff but, well, what do I know.

So there is no reason it can't be done without any tune.
I just can't understand $3600 for mufflers and tips. :yikes:

#91 ·
+1

We need some organization against run flats:

-All the 'occupy wallstreet' types look angry yet bored on television, perhaps they could throw in a few chants against run flats.

-Get all the lovely ladies from the PETA ads to do new versions: I'd ride naked in a car without run flats!

Someone somehow needs to make BMW understand that while run flats may be the/an answer on some cars, the F10 is NOT one of them.

#93 ·
Perhaps I missed it in the Dinan Suspension thread, but can anyone with a 2012 550i M Sport without ARS speak to the precise handling effects of the new Dinan springs?

For example, do they reduce the excessive body roll on cornering which is present even in Sport and Sport+?

Thank you for your input!:bigpimp:

#102 · (Edited)
The lower backpressure post turbine allows the most effective use of the pressure being created preturbine. So when there is low backpressure the turbo is able to more efficiently do work instead of working to overcome said back pressure. That leads to much less lag and allows the turbo to reach it's target boost with less pressure preturbo and allowing the turbine to power the compressor with less total work.

You'd be right if we were increasing the target boost to take advantage of the lower backpressure but were not talking about that were talking about swapping mufflers and running the stock target boost.

#103 ·
The lower backpressure post turbine allows the most effective use of the pressure being created preturbine. So when there is low backpressure the turbo is able to more efficiently do work instead of working to overcome said back pressure. That leads to much less lag and allows the turbo to reach it's target boost with less pressure preturbo and allowing the turbine to power the compressor with less total work.
Turbos are driven by differential pressure. Lowering the back pressure allows for a larger differential pressure. With a larger differential pressure the turbos accelerate quicker maintaining their designed differential pressure. In a simplified form, F=MA, which should make it clear that increased Acceleration results in proportionally increased Force. Again in a simplified form, W=FD, shows there is also increased Work being performed by the turbo. Although these are a transient conditions, it is this peak Acceleration, peak Force, and the peak Work that could easily be explained by any engineer as evidence that the vehicle mods forced the turbos to exceed the design spec for lubrication or component life. I'm not saying it will happen, but it is possible from a Engineer's perspective.

Comparing the Dinan exhaust to the similarly complex (vacuum valve vs electric valve) and similarly priced (both ~$3.6k) Meistershaft (these are not simple axle-back mufflers), the Dinan has the edge due to their refund policy (100% vs 80%) and their warranty (Dinan 4/50 vs. muffler only). If there is any drone in my car, it's being returned.

You'd be right if we were increasing the target boost to take advantage of the lower backpressure but were not talking about that were talking about swapping mufflers and running the stock target boost.
You are correct only if you are talking about any muffler other than Dinan. With Stage 3 being aligned with the Dinan exhaust installation, why wouldn't you expect the target boost to be modified? I would assume the peak horsepower gain (10hp) has little to do with the improved performance associated with the exhaust, but rather they remapped the boost vs rpm to allow for more boost and power at lower rpms to take advantage of the reduced back pressure. Having a Dinan label on the back of your car may be nice, but having integrated tunes and mods are great. Again, as an Engineer, this is a perspective that I can appreciate. :thumbup:

#116 ·
I just picked up a 550i M-Sport over the weekend, but have been lurking around for a few months on the 5 series forum looking for feedback on the various Dinan products. I hope to get as many Dinan goodies I can. For the suspension, I am still on the fence regarding their springs. I have yet to see any pics of a car with 20in wheels with their springs until today. On Dinan's website, they now have an image of a 550i on 20in HRE's however they are using a 35 series tire in the rear. I had thought that if we jump to a 20in we should use a 30 series tire (Plus 1 upgrade). Won't a 35 series tires in rear negatively effect acceleration and lessen the drop? Perhaps they are going this route so that the gap between the tire and fender is smaller. They are also going with some wide tires as well (Front: 275 series & Rear: 295 Series). Thanks in advance to those who chime in....

#117 ·
Yes this seems really odd. Also 35 on a 275 has a higher radius than 40 on a 245. So both front and rear tires are taller. I don't think the height is as big of an issue as the width. Some people on this board are running 7 series wheels and tires with no problem (275/35/20 on rear), but the width seems a stretch to me.

#128 ·
Has anyone developed a programming update for the suspension?

What bothers me about the Dinan springs is loss of dynamic range. I use all 3 suspension settings on my car, and would like to have a more aggressive setting in Sport and Sport+ without losing Comfort and Comfort+.

#129 ·
Dinan had talked about reprogramming the shocks about a year ago, but it appears they went with springs, perhaps, instead. Find someone with new springs and test drive their car. Just remember, not all springs are the same, so a test drive with H&R springs may not be a good indicator of how it would feel with Dinan springs.

#130 · (Edited)
You don't loses dynamic range, it's just shifted. Personaly, I wouldn't bemoan the loss of comfort. It's unusable over 30 MPH, at least on the 535.

The only company I know of that's reprogrammed the DDC is Alpina, on the B5. I haven't heard that they sell this standalone, and I kind of doubt that they would.

#132 ·
Ideally I don't want the springs stiffened up much beyond sport, but I want the ARS to be much more aggressive in keeping the car flat.
There's only so much the Dynamic Drive and ARS can do to overcome the lack of support from the pogo sticks, oops, I meant the OEM springs. :yikes:

It would be nice to have an über-plush ride and race car handling all in one car, but they call for designs that are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I gave up some plushness (Comfort Mode almost made me seasick anyway), but now my car corners very flat now. I drove through DC today and firmly hit a few potholes and lived to write about it. :D

I would say if you can't drive through the city in Sport mode, firmer springs aren't for you. Me, I'll take flat cornering over plushness anyday. :drive:

#133 ·
There's only so much the Dynamic Drive and ARS can do to overcome the lack of support from the pogo sticks, oops, I meant the OEM springs. :yikes:

It would be nice to have an über-plush ride and race car handling all in one car, but they call for designs that are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I gave up some plushness (Comfort Mode almost made me seasick anyway), but now my car corners very flat now. I drove through DC today and firmly hit a few potholes and lived to write about it. :D

I would say if you can't drive through the city in Sport mode, firmer springs aren't for you. Me, I'll take flat cornering over plushness anyday. :drive:
I was thinking of getting the Dinan suspension but because of New York City potholes, I upsized my sidewalls to 45 series on the 19s (makes the wheel and tire diameter about 1 inch bigger than stock) (my tires are 245/45/19s which my dealer said will fit just fine) so I'm afraid of lowering the car at all lest I have rubbing so probably won't do it.

But I do love a firm suspension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.