BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New X5 M Sport

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Die Wolfe 
#1 ·
Picked up 2013 X5 M Sport with Performance Package.

Space Grey
Nappa Leather Sand Beige
Nappa Leather Dash
Premium Package
Premium Sound
20" Wheels
Spare

Had a 3 month pull ahead on a 2010 X5 4.8i with sport package and 20" wheels. Must say the LCI is quite a different truck. 480 lb ft is different.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks. They were really dealing in December. They pulled ahead my 4.8i three months early which was great because I was within 400 miles of my lease limit. Got 12.5% off sticker with all the incentives. Only 700 miles so far but the truck is quite a bit different from my 2010 4.8i. The difference is more than just power. The LCI models are better in a lot of ways. My 2010 had the new Idrive so the differences I notice are all performance related. Can't wait til I can really step on it.

#5 ·
yeeeaaah buddy. u made my dat!:thumbup:
Space grey for life!

Ps..what incentive/credits did u have coming ur way!

#7 ·
Good for u! i was to lazy the whole year a didnt aquire some of those credits!
i leanrned my leasson could have had 15% off:bigpimp:

#8 ·
Nice truck man! I agree with the power, coming from a 2010 48i myself. However I did not have the Sport package on my 2010 but do on my 2013 50i. I "only" have the 400/450 power but it is a world of difference in combination with the 8 speed tranny. I had a brief comparison write up in my thread below. Would be interested in your comparison given the similar 2010 vehicles.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661593&goto=newpost

#10 ·
Here's my review compared to the 2010:

I don't have a cold start video to post yet and it's warmed up too much for a good one. Glad to hear that you like the "beast"!

Since I had a 2010 48i prior to this, I will provide some comparisons.

- The sound of the exhaust on startup is amazing and much better than the 48i.

- The handling, especially turn in is noticeably quicker and turning is more responsive.

- The sport seats are a significant upgrade over the base seats and really provide a supportive and athletic feeling posture.

- The paddle shifting is cool but have not used it enough. I also noticed that the sport steering wheel is about 10% smaller than the standard wheel and much more hefty and less plastic feeling.

- The speed is unbelievably fast for an SUV. I am sure this will be troublesome as I tend to have a heavy foot. The only saving grace
is that with the 8 speed you have to downshift 3 times at highway speed before you really get into the quick rev range for swift passing. With the 2010 6 speed it was 1-2 down but the lack of power between the two is substantial. Way to go twin turbos. On a side note, I am taking it to my wife's company to see if they have any supercharger systems for it. Based on their other systems I'm guessing I could easily get 30-50% power increases, forget Dinan!

- The 2010 could not stream music from my iPhone. Still have not figured out the Bluetooth streaming but typically have to charge it anyway so I use the center console USB port.

- Love the look of the 20" wheels over the spoke wheels I seem to always have.

Dislikes:
- The ride is a bit rougher which is very noticeable when you least expect it. Knew that going in with the change from the 18s.

- Missing the moveable luggage tie down tracks in the back storage compartment. I actually used the vehicle to carry stuff from the hardware store.

- I absolutely hate the smartphone docking thing in the center console. I would love to remove it as I see NO value in it. Is this possible without any wires to disconnect that would affect BMW Apps?

The dislikes are minimal and FAR outweighed by the power and speed of this animal! It is by far the most enjoyable ride I have had in an SUV. I looked at the GL450 before "settling" on virtually the same looking X5 as my 2010. This time around I decided to spice things up from the 2010 and the change is dramatic every time I get in the vehicle.

As for AD, I'm not sad I passed on it this time but have never driven one with AD. From reading all the AD posts, the proof is in the pudding and I've never had a taste.

Rob - thanks for the follow up, man! Keep the posts coming.

#11 ·
Congrats. Looks great.

#13 ·
#16 ·
Ktono,
I agree with most of your points. I did have the sport package and 20***8221; wheels on my 2010 and I actually find the 2013 M Sport to be a better ride than the 2010. I suspect that is because of the rear air suspension. The 2013 does have a much more responsive turn in than the 2010. I had both Dunlap RFT and Conti DWS tires on the 2010. The Dunlap***8217;s were terrible and the noise was unbearable. The DWS***8217;s were quiet but a little soft. The 2013 has Bridgestone RFT and so far I like them. They are not directional like the Dunlap RFT so I can rotate (side to side) every 4 or 5K. This should help the noise and the cupping I had with 2010 Dunlap tires. My steering wheel was a little off center so I have an appointment to get the truck aligned next week. I will go for minimum toe in as ARD has suggested on many occasions. Can***8217;t wait until I get it broke-in so I can see how it accelerates. Right now I sense that it is a torque monster off the line. It feels like it might be quicker to 20 mph than my 991 (not using launch control)?? That thing has to get to 5,000 rpm before it really takes off, unless you use the launch control.

#18 ·
NCAMG:can u post a few up close pics of ur exhaust tips
Are they powder coated from factory painted? gloss or matte
Thinking about having this done , although it might require they taking exhaust down etc!:thumbdwn:

#19 ·
I put up just 1 pic. They look like they are gloss black and that they are press fitter over the stainless steel exhaust tip. It is hard to see from the pic, and because of the bumper cover I can't get a pic from above or below, but I think that if you just bought the tips you might be able to press them on. Not sure though. If you look inside the exhaust tip you cannot see any connection line between the tips and the exhaust. That is why I think it just slips over the existing pipes. Good luck.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.