BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Brake pads change

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  wavewuver 
#1 ·
Just coming up for a service and the computer shows rear brake pads up for change soon. If I believe the computer ...

Question:

Local BMW dealership (where I get a free service :) will charge me £220 to change the rear pads. I know I can get the pads from their spares department for approx £80. That leaves £140 for labour. I know they charge a lot, but that seems extreme.

I called my local garage, who quoted approx £40-£50 for the labour costs.

The question is, why would I get BMW to do this, when I can shave nearly £100 off that labour cost? Do BMW do anything special along with changing the pads? I can't believe it's that hard, I did (in my earlier years) change pads on my trusty Orion, but I can't be arsed these days to mess about.

Any advice?

Thanks!

J

#2 ·
Maybe they include rotor change also?

#4 · (Edited)
If it has any wear, they will also replace the brake pad wear sensor. That sensor rubs against the rotor when the break pads reach minimum thickness, thereby completing a circuit which alerts u to the fact the pads must be changed asap. Once it wears/rubs like that, it can't be reused

The rear sensor is #12 in this diagram. There is one sensor for the front brakes and one for the rear

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=WX73&mospid=52682&btnr=34_1929&hg=34&fg=13

#5 ·
If it has any wear, they will also replace the brake pad wear sensor. That sensor rubs against the rotor when the break pads reach minimum thickness, thereby completing a circuit which alerts u to the fact the pads must be changed asap. Once it wears/rubs like that, it can't be reused

The rear sensor is #12 in this diagram. There is one sensor for the front brakes and one for the rear

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=WX73&mospid=52682&btnr=34_1929&hg=34&fg=13
Yeah, but that sensor was ~$12 for my 2004 X3. I can't imagine it's gone up much on the newer models.

#10 ·
It's just over 32k. The computer was showing I had 7k left (whether I believe that or not - I'll try to update after my service which I'm patiently waiting to be completed now).

I must say I don't tend to slam the anchors on. I do drive it hard occasionally, but try to anticipate traffic and conditions so I don't have to use the brakes that much.

J

#11 ·
So I guess in England you don't get the full maintenance program up to 50K miles? If the wear sensor is not touched it can be reused with the new pads. Buy pads from the dealer's spares department and then have your indy shop install them. Save a few pounds for a nice dinner and a bottle of good wine with your lady. The rear pads seem to wear quicker and at least on mine were replaced and the rotors not changed by the dealer. The front brakes lasted longer, but when they went both the pads and rotors were changed (by BMW on my dime -- or sixpence I guess). BTW the fronts lasted over 60K miles.:angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.