BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Soon to be (hopefully) new E39 owner

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  mcartler 
#1 ·
Friend of 30+ years is selling his 2001 530. I have been in the market for a performance sedan so seems like a good match.

He has all of the maintenance records; I am checking it out on Saturday. There are a couple of issues - slight oil leak and the LED's in the display seem to go out. Per reading in the forum, sounds like I need to find out if he had the cooling system done.

Really looking forward to seeing the car. It is an automatic and I am a manual guy but my wife doesn't drive stick and neither do my kids (yet) so I think auto is more practical. The color (interior and exterior) is perfect- Blue with sand interior.

Just wanted to say hello!

#2 ·
Even though he's a friend, consider a full mechanical inspection before you make an offer. Even if it's a done deal at this point, you should still do it for a benchmark.

#4 ·
Friend of 30+ years is selling his 2001 530. I have been in the market for a performance sedan so seems like a good match.

He has all of the maintenance records; I am checking it out on Saturday. There are a couple of issues - slight oil leak Oil Filter Housing gasket and the LED's in the display seem to go out. common problem, need signal ribbon replaced Per reading in the forum, sounds like I need to find out if he had the cooling system done.

Really looking forward to seeing the car. It is an automatic and I am a manual guy but my wife doesn't drive stick and neither do my kids (yet) so I think auto is more practical. The color (interior and exterior) is perfect- Blue with sand interior.

Just wanted to say hello!
Congrats and welcome aboard!

#5 ·
It is an automatic and I am a manual guy but my wife doesn't drive stick and neither do my kids (yet) so I think auto is more practical.
Are you buying it for your wife/kids or are you buying it for YOU? Don't settle! You can always teach them how to drive stick. It makes everyone in the family a better driver plus you get to have your fun!

Welcome aboard!

#6 ·
Thanks for all of the notes back.

My friend is taking to mechanic today to get a full report. I fully trust the situation - should be in good shape.

Dragan, your question is a good one. Honestly, am buying it for everyone...I think my wife will enjoy driving it and she refuses to learn to drive stick so I think that this ia good compromise.

"tmv" - thanks for the notes on what to look for. I am actually hoping to do some repairs myself and I am sure that this forum will be invaluable.

thanks!

#7 ·
Welcome. Buying from a private owner with records is the way to go. Bonus points if it is an old friend.
The wife and kids will like it! Blue with Sand is a good combo. My wifes 530 is Steel Blue.

If you are a manual guy, then go out and get an ///M for yourself!

#11 ·
Today is the day! Driving to Bloomington IN to look (and purchase??!!) at the car.

I live in SE Indiana; close to Cincinnati OH and not too far to Louisville. Any recommendations on mechanics? West side of Cincinnati would be terrific.

thanks!
Welcome. I'm guessing you will have purchased the car.
Congrats. If you can't trust your best man, who can you trust?:thumbup:

Check these links for certified BMW Independent mechanics.
http://www.bimrs.org/2008MapPage.html
http://www.bimmershops.com/

Here is a link to Ohio Bimmers forum. Quite a strong membership from the Cincy area.
http://www.ohiobimmers.com/forum/

There is a Cars and Coffee meet in Cincy. It has a good following. You can find info in the ohiobimmers under meets and events.

Also every June in Columbus there is an event called Timmayfest. It's mostly BMW's. It grows in attendance every year. Google it for details. There is also a thread in the ohiobimmers.

#12 ·
Thanks!

I did purchase it...will post pictures on a sunny day - sleeting here now.

Very happy with the car. The only thing a bit disappointed with is a bit of rust that I will need to take care of.

Funny thing happened to my friend - on Thursday when he went to take it to the mechanic for checkup it wouldn't start - dead battery. So he put in a new battery for me so that I wouldn't have to worry. One less thing for me to do.

#14 ·
Hope your pockets are deep or you are an experianced DIY kind of Guy first thing I would start thinking about depending on mileage is cooling system overhaul.
Secondly also depending on mileage is vanos and suspension if the vehicle has a good amount of miles on it and you love the way it drives overhaul the suspension and you will fall in love with the car all over again

Congrats man and welcome to the club and if you see any change laying around the car I would save it trust me your gonna wan to save every penny you have buying a BMW is the cheap part its amintaning them that will empty the bank account. Once again congradulations

Matt

#15 ·
johnmc7 - it is a saloon or sedan I guess we call it around my parts ;-)

mcsimon - funny you should mention it...there was quite a bit of change left in the car ;-) Let's put it this way, I am an aspiring DIY guy. I suppose a BMW isn't the best car to learn on given that it is a sophisticated machine, but I have room (30 x 50 steel building) and was planning on getting tools and equipment as I promised my dad on his deathbed that I would get his old motorcycles (including a couple BMWs) working again. The biggest issue I will have is lack of time.

Thanks everyone on this forum for the kind words and encouragement - will post pictures soon

#17 ·
Welcome. These cars can be incredibly rewarding if you throw yourself into the ownership experience. Can be incredibly frustrating if all you are looking for is transportation.

These is so much DIY you can do if you can simply research online and follow a list. Lots of support here on this forum.

So what was the cause of the oil leak? You don't mention the mileage -- BMW autos usually don't last much past 100K without a fluid change.

#20 ·
Looks nice. Pretty dark for Orient -- which Blue is that?

#21 ·
Congratulations, and enjoy your E39 like the rest of us.

#24 · (Edited)
"tmv" - you have good eyes and attention to detail. It is Sports package, but it has right now snow tires on with regular wheels. I think that the other wheels (with summer tires) are the Sports package wheels. The car is indeed very clean...the only issue is that it had some body work done and the quality of the painting wasn't super good and so I now have some rust to deal with; and in one place it is I think pretty bad as the paint is bubbling up. But I got a good price with a known history and a full extra set of wheels as well!

#25 ·
Rust on these cars is unusual and often indicative of an improper repair. BMW has both inner and outer body panels almost everywhere and rust is hard to get without an accident of some sort. Trust me as I know that anything less that a rusted panel replacement is a waste of time. I had to find a good, donor panel and order it bigger so I could cut out ALL the rust and then cut the new, donor panel to fit exactly. I mean, so exact it would fit the hole and stay put by its own pressure. I welded it in place 100% around and using a lot of self-etching primer, I made the repair such that very, very little bondo even needed to be used. I used bondo very sparingly just to smooth the panel for primer and paint. Mine was a lousy repair in the rear driver door and from that corner to the wheel wheel. I sold the car so have no way of knowing if it ever came back, but had it don't cheaply 3 times before that and it never lasted longer that 3 mos. Of ALL the defects you want to avoid, rust very seldom is mentioned, but tops the list as like cancer, you are never sure you got it all. Sorry to tell you this, but rust is really bad news and will eat the car fast if not repaired promptly and correctly. If your buddy was the origibal owner, ask him what he did that started the whole rust deal from the beginning.

#26 ·
Hi 540iman - the car was in an accident and the rear panel was replaced and repainted...I think that the bodyshop didn't do as good a job as they could have...thus the rust. The accident happened 6 years ago but the rust is now getting obvious. I will look to get it all taken care of this summer.

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.